Step 2 CS
Matching & Residency
Step 3
Classifieds

Archives

<<   < *  Step 1   *  >   >>  

* anthrax
  vaidya - 11/07/06 00:15

What is the drug of choice to treat Anthrax?...I read in Clinical Microbiology MRS that is Penicillin, but Kaplan Notes said Ciprofoxacin or doxycyclin...?  
Report Abuse

* Re:anthrax
  neoplasia - 11/07/06 00:27

cipro  
Report Abuse

vaidya - 11/07/06 00:45

thanxs for your answer neoplasia...  
Report Abuse

deric - 11/07/06 02:53

the books i read said pen  
Report Abuse

vaidya - 11/07/06 09:16

Well i read in 2 different books, 2 different anwers..I know maybe all of these (Pen, cipro, doxy) "works", but If somebody know what is the drug of choice to kill bacillus anthracis, let me know please and where did you read it?  
Report Abuse

adrenaline2176 - 11/07/06 11:25

Its Doxycycline or Cipro. Check out the cdc link:
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5042a1.htm#tab1

While anthrax usually kills infected animals, it can be successfully treated in humans if caught in the early stages. Penicillin has been the drug of choice for years and remains effective, even for the infections we have all read about recently. Other drugs from the penicillin family such as amoxicillin should be equally effective. Doxycycline, one of the tetracycline family of antibiotics – and most recently listed as the CDC’s drug of choice in treating anthrax, is also effective. Ciprofloxacin – more commonly known as Cipro – is one of the quinolone antibiotics and is also effective. Cipro has made news since the September 11th terrorist attack and is recommended as the first drug to use until the sensitivities of the organisms are known because the Soviet Union was known to produce anthrax bacilli that were resistant to penicillin and tetracycline in their germ warfare program. The anthrax used in the most recent incidents, however, has all been sensitive to all antibiotics listed above. Lung infections may be treated with intravenous antibiotics. It is important to take the full course of prescribed antibiotics to prevent complications. If untreated, cutaneous anthrax may result in death. Untreated inhalation anthrax always results in death.

According to the American Medical Association and other authorities, physicians should not prescribe antibiotics for patients as a preventive measure against anthrax. This may lead patients to initiate unnecessary treatment and could contribute to the development of antibiotic resistant organisms.

Report Abuse

vaidya - 11/08/06 00:58

Really thxs adrenaline2176!  
Report Abuse

Page 1 of 1          

[<<First]   [<Prev]  ... Message ...  [Next >]   [Last >>]

Logon to post a new Message/Reply

Google
  Web USMLEforum.com

Step 1 Step 2 CK Step 2 CS Matching & Residency Step 3 Classifieds
LoginUSMLE LinksHome