Step 2 CK
Step 2 CS
Matching & Residency
Step 3
Classifieds

Archives

SOAP Begins in: 

<<   < *  Matching & Residency   *  >   >>  

* For all those who have dinner with residents..
  depdoc - 11/03/06 10:59

How to engage in a good ,lively,inforamtive discussion with residents at dinner ? what topics should v talk bout ?and what topics to avoid?

Plz experts comment and all other forum members.

Report Abuse

* Re:For all those who have dinner with residents..
  danille - 11/03/06 11:02

The residents will bring up a lot of topics. Talk in a very casual way. Almost all the things you are interested in will be talked about during the dinner.  
Report Abuse

depdoc - 11/03/06 11:14

Hii danille,

did u had an experience ? could u share it ? also do they talk bout their field or its very informal?

Report Abuse

harrislee - 11/03/06 11:22

When I went to dinner last week, all the residents and applicants are AMGs, and for quite a while they just talk about baseball and football which I never watch, so just listen and enjoy food. When they are done with the topic, bring up some topic you are interested in, they will be happy to respond, like the life in the city, job market of subspecialty, funny places to hang out, almost anything you can talk about. When you are not talking, just listen and smile :)  
Report Abuse

honulu - 11/03/06 11:34

don't we look dumb when we just hear them and do not get actively involved...?.....means what are the topics we should ask so that we can keep up their interest...?  
Report Abuse

angelboy - 11/03/06 11:42

if you are a quiet person, don't really like hollywood type talking, it is better not to go for the dinner. last year, i went to an interview and there were supposed 30 interviwees on that day (29 amgs) but only 5 amgs went to the dinner on the the night before. it is not fun to watch the talking among them. just be youself and listen to your heart whether you are comforable or not. I feel it is silly to just sit there with your smile. in fact, it is not a big deal if you go for a dinner or not, it all depends on if you like it or not. it does not count at all for your interview, plus you can find 1000 polite excuses for it. my 2 cents  
Report Abuse

harrislee - 11/03/06 11:59

To angelboy
if you don't like to talk , it's better not to go to the interview at all. even during the intervals of interview or during the lunch, you still need to talk to residents and many other guys around. If sitting there and smiling is silly, then go back to practice your oral English and American culture, then come back to match when you can talk for hours with interesting topics and make every American residents attracted. this is not the case for most FMGs, then what you need to do is how to behave well under such conditions, actually during the dinner, the major talker is always the resident, most applicants like to listen and responded from time to time. it's important to tak of course, but what is more important is that you are honest, easy going and behave decently, don't try to be talkative, be yourself and be nice and considerate to people. Then you will be OK.

Report Abuse

angelboy - 11/03/06 12:05

I am not a miss of night club, I only talk when it needs ME to talk. whether I am going to interview or not, it is not your business!!!  
Report Abuse

harrislee - 11/03/06 12:11

come on, we are trying to help people out, if this is your nature of behaviour, then good luck with your interview.  
Report Abuse

harrislee - 11/03/06 12:17

to angelboy:
when I said "if youdon't like to talk", I'm not pointing at you, please don't be sensitive, I just want to give my advice through my experiences with interview, it's not much because I have been to only 3 interviews until now. If anybody think it's useful, then take it. If you don't like it, then forget about it. I don't want anybody to be offended

Report Abuse

angelboy - 11/03/06 12:18

I am writing with my opinion and I have absolute right to express what i have observed. this is nothing to do with behaviour as you don't know me neither see me. if you don't know how to discuss, better not to mention my name. period!!!  
Report Abuse

Page 1 of 2     [Next >]     [Last >>]

[<<First]   [<Prev]  ... Message ...  [Next >]   [Last >>]

Logon to post a new Message/Reply

Google
  Web USMLEforum.com

Step 1 Step 2 CK Step 2 CS Matching & Residency Step 3 Classifieds
LoginUSMLE LinksHome