Step 3
Classifieds

Archives

<<   < *  Step 3   *  >   >>  

* I passed Step 3 by the power/grace of Jesus
  enkuang - 12/19/06 00:00

Dear Friends,

I took Step 3 on 11/2 and 11/3/06.

The reason for this posting is to encourage everyone who is preparing to take the USMLE Step 3. I am a PGY 2 resident doing internal medicine. Graduated from St George's Univ School of Medicine. I was really encouraged by many of your testimonies/posting here before my Step 3, that's why I want to do the same for others.

To tell you the truth, even 3 days before Step 3, I was struggling whether or not to postpone until Dec or Jan... I knew that with my own ability I couldn't pass it. My family and church friends kept on praying for me and encouraging me all along, and they also prayed very hard for me throughout 11/2~11/3. Thank Lord Jesus, I found out that I passed Step 3 on 12/4! I couldn't have done it without God's grace, power, and wisdom! Praise God!

My stats:
Q Bank overall average: 54% (did 924 questions)
USMLE World average: 51.6% (only did 192 qs because I ran out of time to study)
NBME Step 3 CD (from USMLE when you registered for the exam) 4 blocks: 67%, 69%, 70%, 79%

My Actual Score on Step 3: 197/ 80

What I did/ my Advice to everyone:
1. While working as a resident, I spent (slowly becuase of the demanding work load and constant lack of sleep...etc.) ~3-4 months of my time watching the Kaplan Videos and going over the Kaplan Step 3 Notes.

2. Going over Crush Step 3 and First Aid for Step 3*** very important!!! Make sure you go over these two books for HIGH YIELD facts/ QUICK review!!! Some people may need to go over twice, but I only had enough time to go over once.

2. Then I started to do Kaplan Q Bank first, trying to build up my confidence level before starting USMLE World.... unfortunately I ran out of time..... so I only did 4 blocks of USMLE World. ****I highly recommend JUST do USMLE World, and NOT Q Bank, because the REAL Step 3 looks much more similar to USMLE World in Style and Format (for ex. the real Step 3 has those 3~4 Qs with only One main Question Stem- these types of questions are only found in USMLE World- and these type of qs save you more time on Step 3). With an average of 52~55% on USMLE World, you should be able to pass the real Step 3 without any problems.

3. Practice CCS 5 cases on USMLE Step 3 CD MORE than 2 times!!! and Go through the 100 CCS cases on First Aid for Step 3 (they are quick and fast way to train you to think better/ faster on the real CCS exam).

4. When you practice USMLE World- MAKE SURE you always do 1 hr block of 48 Qs with ALL Subjects/specialties- this will train you in terms of time management AND help you REVIEW ALL Subjects/ 5 areas (Peds, OB, Surger...) at the SAME TIME- this way you won't review one area and forget about the other and keep going back and forth. The bottom line is- Get USED to doing the REAL THING as REAL as possible!

My CCS 9 cases:

1. Hypothyrodism. 2.Septic Shock from UTI. 3. Ecclampsia. 4. Iron Deficiency Anemia. 5. STD- Chlymidia. 6. Menigits- Nisseria. 7. Intussusception (peds). 8. Panic Attack. 9. Squamous Cell Lung Cancer/ Carcinoma.

*** For CCS- Make sure/ try your best to finish the case in under 14~15 minutes (before the 5 min warning/closing door). This way you will know you did the RIGHT thing/Make the RIGHT Diag/management. Because if the patient tells you that he/she is feeling better and "Boom" the "This case will end in 5 Min" Sign shows up in your face- you can rest assure that you just GOT ONE CASE RIGHT!!!! =)

Godspeed to ALL, and THANK YOU for all the encouragements and Help!
God Bless You and Your Family!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!
EnKuang

Report Abuse

* Re:I passed Step 3 by the power/grace of Jesus
  auerrod - 12/19/06 07:21

Congrats!
G8 feedback! Wish you a Happy Holiday Season!!!
All the best for the IM boards!

Report Abuse

* Re:I passed Step 3 by the power/grace of God
  ganja_doc - 12/19/06 10:18

Congrats  
Report Abuse

oxygen - 12/19/06 12:16

Good job!!!Brother/sister. May the Lord be with you through your board exam!!  
Report Abuse

sc98 - 12/19/06 23:02

congrats and thanx for the elaborate feedbac.
happy holidays

Report Abuse

kavish99 - 12/20/06 03:17

power and grace of jesus is the best book and guide for passing the test..i agree with that..  
Report Abuse

jeevee1 - 12/20/06 11:19

Now, open your heart to receive Him in Christmas. That's a greter gift than any Step 3 score.  
Report Abuse

oxygen - 12/21/06 11:41

Hi enkuang,

Which state did you pick for step3? I am planning to take it sometime early next year, I just got my certificate and no residency, which state do you suggest that I should pick? California or connetcut? thanks

Report Abuse

shapers19 - 12/22/06 03:53

HI THANKS FOR THE FEED BACK...good luck with the boards and merry X-mas,

california or conneticut ? CA doesn't require IMG to be in residency ?

Report Abuse

enkuang - 12/23/06 11:34

Hi Oxygen and Shapers19,

Sorry about the late reply, I recommend register through Conneticut for the Step 3- It's Quick and easy- and you will get your "orange" permit in 2~3 weeks! But to tell you the truth, I really don't know about Step 3 and not yet in Residency/ or IMG status. I am also an IMG myself, and I had absolutely no problem/delay in registering for the Step 3.... but I would definitely ask MORE people if this is a concern to you. Perhaps other people in similar situation on this Forum can better help answering this question...

Take care
God Bless You and Your family
Merry Christmas

En Kuang

Report Abuse

gentle - 12/24/06 23:42

if Jesus could do anything,he had done that for himself and hadn't been nailed in cross  
Report Abuse

Page 1 of 2     [Next >]     [Last >>]

[<<First]   [<Prev]  ... Message ...  [Next >]   [Last >>]

Logon to post a new Message/Reply

Google
  Web USMLEforum.com

Step 1 Step 2 CK Step 2 CS Matching & Residency Step 3 Classifieds
LoginUSMLE LinksHome