Step 2 CS
Matching & Residency
Step 3
Classifieds

Archives

<<   < *  Matching & Residency   *  >   >>  

* Looking to apply for MPH or MHA can anyone guide m
  nicemale - 12/06/07 10:21

I wanted to know which one is better to get a future job please.

MPH= Masters of Public Health OR
MHA= Masters of Health Administration.

PLZ guide me thanks alot.

Report Abuse

* Re:Looking to apply for MPH or MHA can anyone guid
  imgz - 12/06/07 11:00

I think MPH with possibly concentration in Biostats is better. At least you are likely to get part-time jobs even during your training. Research jobs are easier to get to and it is not as competitive compared to epidemiology.
I have been working in research while waiting to match and I realized my advantage was that I could help the research team with data analysis. Moreso you get to write papers for that data that you work on, boosting your resume with publications.
On the other hand MHA has an appeal to most non-medical persons, making competition for jobs greater. In any case MHA is kind of frowned upon by international NGO in the event you want to get an international job. Lastly the MHA training that one get, particularly here in the US, is so narrowly focused on the US health system that you will not be useful elsewhere. Worse still you will have problems getting a job as a foreign in public health or hospital administrations. Salaries are pitiful definately less than 50K per annum. Yet with biostats you can work as an independent consultant or salaried most likely above 65K...
My two cents contribution

Report Abuse

nicemale - 12/06/07 11:53

Hey imgz,

Thanks for reply, so you mean I should pick Bistats for MPH and not epidemiology as it is competitive.

Thanks.

Report Abuse

imgz - 12/06/07 15:36

I seriously think biostats is better. Look the core courses for MPH are the same irrespective of what concentration you take. Principles of Epidemiology, Biostats 1&2, Environmental Health, Principles of Public Health, Social & Behavioral Medicine and Health Management and Policy. So with an MD; with MPH core courses you can still work as an Epidemiologist irrespective of the concentration. Because the concentration of courses that Epi majors take like Chronic diseases Epi, Infectious diseases or Molecular Epi or disease control are simple things which you probably did in medical school. And even if you do not remember thatem in the work environment, you would still be able to do them.
Now on the other hand in Biostats you learn new things like mathematical modelling, clinical trials, different software and statistical consulting. There are a bunch of data bases like NANHES among many others which you can use as part of training for publications. The beauty of it is that you can consult~$100 per hour if you are good. Most of the things that you get to consult on are easy. Google biostats jobs and see

Report Abuse

newdoc - 12/06/07 15:41

wow  
Report Abuse

imgz - 12/06/07 22:25

What do you mean wow; newdoc  
Report Abuse

Page 1 of 1          

[<<First]   [<Prev]  ... Message ...  [Next >]   [Last >>]

Logon to post a new Message/Reply