Matching & Residency
Step 3
Classifieds

Archives

<<   < *  Step 1   *  >   >>  

* NBME 12 section 3 answers.
  borderline - 05/13/11 01:26

1 E
2 C (almost sure) any other suggestions ?
3 A
4 E
http://cid.oxfordjournals.org/content/31/2/578.short
another hint (chlamydophila = Legionella pneumophila, Mycoplasma pneumoniae and Chlamydophila pneumoniae) are intracellular bugs--> need t lymphocyte to extermine the infection)
5 E
6 B
7 B
8 C
9 D
10 C
11 B
12 A (two choises can be reasonable inner cell of the cochlea C or the A, but if she has sensorineural hearing loss, I think those cell are most commonlt in ealderly to be damged so it is useless to innervate them by the implant)
13 E
14 B
15 A
16 C (you will get those question in the exam garantee, learn how to draw 2 by 2 table and you will get all question about sensitivity , specificity, PPV , NPV , Odd ratio and RR and attribuate risk .. it is just unfair to loose those questions)
17 A (i get this question wrong i marked dependent I get so upset that i choose bordeline as my pseudo to never forget)
18 C how does not know the blue magical pill....;)
19 C
20 D
21 D
22 E
23 E
24 D
25 B
26 C
27 C (mneumonic Musculocutaneous= muscle= show me your biceps..:-))
28 E (it is gout but can someone tell me why this story happend after the cholecystectomy ??)
29 F (almost sure any suggestions )
30 B b-thalassemia is an imcoplete globine chain that work inappropraitely.
if you chage G by A at position 246 , the RNA will have an stop codon dna ATT--> RNA
UAA (U are away = stop codon thanx FA for mneumonic)
31 B (can someone please explain the concept of having hypersplenisme in alcoholics ?? because of portal hypertention ?)
32 A
33 D
34 D
35 C
36 C
37 D (I think he has MI complicated by cardiogenic choc left heart failure so the Pul oedema, Do you have another suggestion what the diagnosis might be ?)
38 D
39 B
40 A
41 A
42 C
43 A
44 B
45 B
46 A
47 A
48 D
49 D
50 A

Again that are my suggestions. If you have another choise please let me know and we will discuss that so we all will learn from our mistakes .
Thank you .

Report Abuse

* Re:NBME 12 section 3 answers.
  maryam2009 - 05/13/11 08:30

Hi Borderline
I appriciate your effort and kindness , :)

Report Abuse

pankaj2011 - 05/18/11 00:19

Hey borderline,

Could you explain why #9 is D (mitochondria); I am kinda lost with that question.

For number 28, the reason the answer is gout after occuring post-cholycysectomy is b/c people have to usually restrict their fluid intake before a surgery and that will lead to a concentrated uric acid level in the blood (esp since he has the 2 year history of gout). Remember that large meals and alcohol consumption can precipitate gout attacks as well.

Thanks for posting the answers.

Report Abuse

sssdewi - 05/19/11 01:41

@ Borderline,
Thanks for posting answers.

Please help me explain for No. 26 (why choose opioid....)???

And also for No. 30. (I can't find any clue to get answer in No. 30).

Report Abuse

sssdewi - 05/19/11 06:10

Question No. 42

I think is A (Congenital hypothyroidism).
Thymus aplasia + hypothyroidism in Digeorge syndrome.

Why the answer is C???? Explanation please....

Report Abuse

borderline - 05/20/11 01:43

For the question 9 ;
goljan said in RR that aspirin is a mitochondrial (uncoupling) poison there is even a schema where he shows where it acting .
Seizure I think it is because of ATP depletion (I think the same mecanisme of melas syndrome
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/946864-overview)
thanx for the explanation of 28 pankaj

Report Abuse

borderline - 05/20/11 01:59

@ sssdewi

for 26 :
nothing other feets actually ARS and pneumenia (lung are clear to auscultation)
respiration rate is very low (8), why you will have this in pulmonary embolism, you will have a shunt and hypoxia but why the respiration rate will decresed if any thing I guess it will increased because of the hypoxia (not sure)
upper airway obstruction you will hear minimal or no respoiration sure but it will be different hearing between the right and the left lung cause of this obstuction.
generally MS patients had congnitif decline and depression so.. I thing suicide attemps feets better .

for 30
do the change then transcript this DNA to mRNA and you will find out a stop codon (in thalassemia that what makes the globin not functional its translation is not completed)

for 42
youre right it is di georgi and it is A.
I just makes a mistake when tapping ... sorry .

Report Abuse

* Re:NBME 12 section 3 answers. correction 43 D
  monoo18 - 05/21/11 13:57

Hi I normally just lurk and dont have much to add cuz im not that good of a student, but i saw that answer 42 in the list is not correct....... i took the mock yesterday online and they give u the questions that u got wrong ..... I did not get #43 wrong otherwise it would have been in the 49 q's i missed .... I chose D respectively .... so it has to be the correct answer... its kinda an easy question so im certain u jus had a typo.... nothing groundbreaking on my part.. neways ive used the help from several pepl... drona maryam... borderline... in this forum.... my contribution... albeit.... microscopic in significance :) .... electron microscopic :)  
Report Abuse

usmleny - 05/21/11 14:19

Borderline...
thank you so much...i really appreciate your help....

Report Abuse

borderline - 05/21/11 14:37

@monoo18 you`re right the 42 question is wrong if you read the disscucion after the post I mentioned that it was di-gorgi and i make a fault typing , so I m very sorry for that ..
your microscopical contribution is like diagnostic test in minimal change disease . a gold standart.... :)

Report Abuse

borderline - 05/21/11 14:38

your welcome guys...  
Report Abuse

Page 1 of 7     [Next >]     [Last >>]

[<<First]   [<Prev]  ... Message ...  [Next >]   [Last >>]

Logon to post a new Message/Reply

Google
  Web USMLEforum.com

Step 1 Step 2 CK Step 2 CS Matching & Residency Step 3 Classifieds
LoginUSMLE LinksHome