Step 2 CS
Matching & Residency
Step 3
Classifieds

Archives

<<   < *  Matching & Residency   *  >   >>  

* USMLE valid in Canada..?
  doc_doc321 - 01/30/12 21:26

are we eligible to apply for residency training in canada on the basis of USMLE or have to pass there exams..?
please let me know if any1 has info about it..

Report Abuse

* Re:USMLE valid in Canada..?
  usmle2014 - 01/31/12 01:42

If you are an IMG, you need to pass MCCEE, MCCQE PART ONE , and MCCQE PART TWO. They do not accept USMLE Steps instead.  
Report Abuse

qwery - 01/31/12 03:12

canada is just as heard headed as usa, they have their own exams and no one can enter the country to practice without doing that exam  
Report Abuse

doc_doc321 - 02/02/12 15:10

thanks very much for the help..  
Report Abuse

5pani - 02/02/12 18:01

@doc_doc321:

If you are applying for residency as a PGY1 out of your SENIOR year, you can apply with the MCCEE score only. The dates are specific though. I believe if your year of graduation is >1 year from application time or something like that then you have to take the QE1 at the least. So if you are applying out of your final year, only need the MCCEE. You also need to take the MCCEE to be eligible for J-1 visa sponsorship in the US. Please check the dates though - they set a specific deadline and depending on where you are you either write the EE or the QE1.

IF you do residency in the USA and want to come back to Canada, depending on your province there are different paths. I am only familiar with Ontario, and specifically Family Medicine. For example, for Family Med in Ontario you can take a few different routes:

Independent Registration requirements Successful completion of the Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examination Part 1 and Part 2, and certification by examination from the College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC).

Pathway 4 requirements Successful completion of an ACGME-accredited residency training program in the US, board certification from the American Board of Family Medicine (ABFM), and eligibility for a full (unrestricted) license in any US state.

If you choose Pathway 4, you essentially didn't have to take any Canadian exams but you have a restricted license. By restricted it means you are certified in your chosen specialty to practice in that province alone. So if you get your restricted license in Pediatrics, you can only do pediatrics in Ontario.

If you're in another province then I can't help.

Report Abuse

Page 1 of 1          

[<<First]   [<Prev]  ... Message ...  [Next >]   [Last >>]

Logon to post a new Message/Reply

Google
  Web USMLEforum.com

Step 1 Step 2 CK Step 2 CS Matching & Residency Step 3 Classifieds
LoginUSMLE LinksHome