Step 2 CS
Matching & Residency
Step 3
Classifieds

Archives

<<   < *  Step 1   *  >   >>  

* nbme 15 discussion
  dreddy - 03/24/13 15:18

Anyone who has taken nbme 15 we can start a post to discuss questions that came on the exam! Post questions, answers and explanations... Hoping this can help the people who are taking the exam soon!  
Report Abuse

* Re:nbme 15 discussion
  brainteaser - 03/24/13 22:14

the ans should be bethanechol as it acts by Gq ie PIP2..

I made stupid silly mistakes..my nerves got my performance down..so i dint get a great score..could have done much better..nbme tests on known concepts but in a tricky way..cant really comment as such..how abt u?

Report Abuse

brainteaser - 03/24/13 22:22

A 2-year-old girl is brought to the emergency department 20 minutes after she accidently ingested insecticide. Her father reports that he was spraying his lawn and
accidentally left the open bottle on the ground. His daughter walked over, picked up the bottle, and started to drink, but then she immediately threw down the bottle. She is
in moderate respiratory distress. Her respirations are I 8/mm and shallow. Pulse oximetry on room air shows an oxygen saturation of 82%. Physical examination shows
copious oral secretions. In addition to securing an airway, the most appropriate immediate step is administration of which of the following medications?
Pralidoxi me
atropine
Succi nylcholi ne
physostigmine
diphenhydramine

Report Abuse

brainteaser - 03/24/13 22:25

Influenza virus strains are characterized by differing sensitivity to growth inhibition by the weak base ammonium chloride (AC). Influenza A San Francisco (SF) produces
virus yields in AC-treated cells that approximate those in untreated cells, whereas influenza A New York (NY) grows poorly in AC-treated cells. To identify viral genes that
segregate with differences in the sensitivity of these strains to AC, reassortant viruses are isolated by coinfecting cells with both virus strains. The ratios of the growth of the
reassortant viruses in the presence and absence of AC are shown in the table.
Virus Strain AC+IACó Ratio Genome Segment (Protein)
(PA) (HA) (NP) (NA) (Mi/M2)
Parental
NY 0.005 NY NY NY NY NY
SF 0.8 SF SF SF SF SF
Reassortant
NY-SF/i 1.0 SF SF NY NY SF
NY-SF/2 0.8 NY SF NY SF SF
NY-SF/3 0.8 SF SF SF SF NY
NY-SF/4 0.5 NY SF SF NY NY
NY-SF/5 0.4 NY SF SF SF NY
NY-SF/6 0.008 NY NY NY SF SF
NY-SF/7 0.004 SF NY NY SF SF
NY-SF/8 0.002 SF NY NY SF NY
Which of the following viral gene segments segregates with progeny viruses that are resistant to ammonium chloride?
A)HA
B)M1/M2 .
C)NA
D) NP(WRONG)
E)PA

Report Abuse

dreddy - 03/24/13 22:34

i put pralidoxime but i am looking at it again and i think its atropine...those are the only two answers that make sense  
Report Abuse

dreddy - 03/24/13 22:35

i put C. NA but that was wrong...so maybe its HA?  
Report Abuse

dreddy - 03/24/13 22:37

Yeah i made some stupid mistakes as well, but some questions i had no clue about and some I got had 2 choices and obviously we pick the wrong one always! When are you taking your exam?
But what I have heard about this nbme is that its tough, and has tricky answer choices.

Report Abuse

brainteaser - 03/24/13 22:40

atropine also fits me too..i think i need to do uw again and also FA ..SO ASSUMING ATLEAST 3 more weeks..cant decide..have to work on my weak areas..how are you planning to deal with the weak spots and when are you planning  
Report Abuse

brainteaser - 03/24/13 22:42

i think ot should be M1/M2 as coinfecting  
Report Abuse

dreddy - 03/24/13 22:44

Booked the date already for april 16th...I started UW again doing it subject wise to improve my weak areas and also doing mixed blocks. Going to read FA and pathoma/golijan till the end and just keep going over that. And continue doing nbmes. Did you take nbme 13 yet?  
Report Abuse

dreddy - 03/24/13 22:45

i have now idea how to even come up with an answer to it....  
Report Abuse

[<< First]     [< Prev]     Page 4 of 13     [Next >]     [Last >>]

[<<First]   [<Prev]  ... Message ...  [Next >]   [Last >>]

Logon to post a new Message/Reply

Google
  Web USMLEforum.com

Step 1 Step 2 CK Step 2 CS Matching & Residency Step 3 Classifieds
LoginUSMLE LinksHome