Matching & Residency
Step 3
Classifieds

Archives

SOAP Begins in: 

<<   < *  Matching & Residency   *  >   >>  

* if you don't match, backup job until next atte
  onelife - 03/05/16 00:12

Serious question, please no jokes like flipping burgers or janitorial services.

This topic isn't meant to ask about interviews or stats but just what if you don't match/soap... what would you do until you try applying to the next eras cycle?

There's a lot of b.s. job offers here on the forums (especially in NY/NJ) where they make you pay tuition and promise work but I've heard bad stories of people with no work. Those were for jobs in drug safety and clinical investigators.

Any medically related jobs out there in the States that pay close to a PGY-1 salary? (e.g. $35-45k) or at least $15-20 usd/hour?

I heard a lot of medical scribe positions are around but those are quite low in hourly pay and mostly, undergrad + premed students looking to get into medical school and so that's kind of embarrassing.

EMT/ambulance services still require tuition and time. (at least 6 months) Hourly pay is around the wage of a scribe or lower but at least you might have some more direct patient exposure as opposed to a scribe position where it's mostly document and data gathering/input.

I suppose this topic is more for those who don't have visa issues and are looking for something to do in the medical scene that is not unpaid or research related without pay.

Report Abuse

* Re:if you don't match, backup job until next a
  onelife - 03/05/16 00:16

I've also heard about working as a phlebotomist in a lab or clinic. Training is a varies from a week to few months but still costs money out of your own pocket and no guarantees of stable work/hire. Your task is pretty much limited to specimen collection.

I'm not sure of tech or health IT people hiring those with medical degrees.

Ok, just throwing some things out there to start the discussion. Thanks. Please no advertising spamming.

Report Abuse

onelife - 03/05/16 13:18

Sorry for the few typos above, I was on my mobile device. The title was cutoff and meant to read as : "if you don't match, backup job until next attempt on eras"

Any thoughts for me to search and read about? I'm sure I'm not the only one who has it in mind and I don't mean any bad wishes to anyone applying right now.

Maybe there are some medical grads here who are currently working with some salaried or hourly wage in the medical field within the U.S., while waiting for nrmp/eras outcomes that could share some similar paid work opportunities?

Report Abuse

appania - 03/05/16 19:27

i watched a kaplan video where prof said research is not helpful to FMG's who did not match + better find work to fill gap year with patient interaction because everybody does research and is not impressive. is phlebotomy or scribe job not good for clinical patient interaction? will anybody hire with no residency license for consulting area or medical device consultant???? health insurance jobs?  
Report Abuse

step3md - 03/05/16 20:05

Bounty hunter  
Report Abuse

appania - 03/05/16 21:30

i wish i could laugh. my wife has been earning income for us as a middle school teacher these last 3 years. but she is pregnant now with twins and she will not be able to work in the next months and most likely the next 1-2 years. no other local family support, no parents. if i don't get residency now, i will need to find any kind of duty to cover expenses for us.  
Report Abuse

lemons27 - 03/06/16 14:22

I taught medical assistants and surgical technicians at a trade school for a year. I made $35K. It wasn't an ideal job to have, but it paid the bills. I earned $23/hr and worked 3 days a week. I worked 30 hours a week. I mentioned it to a friend of mine in Boston. She searched for these type of schools. She got hired at $40/hr.
There was no training required. I just went for an interview and they asked me prepare a mock 10 minute lecture. Some of the other instructors were also IMGs who were applying for match. It's a very simple job. I taught medical terminology, electronic medical records, basic anatomy & physiology.

Report Abuse

usmleexams10 - 03/06/16 14:42

@lemons27 could you please tell me more about this trade school, including the name of th school? You can email me at usmleexams10@gmail.com . I would appreciate it.  
Report Abuse

ricandoctor - 03/07/16 06:13

The problem is that you are not filling the year with something that is improving your CV.  
Report Abuse

pathapcp2016 - 03/07/16 07:55

I would suggest looking for postdoctoral fellow. You should get paid 40-50000$ it will look good on cv despite some pds may not be in favor. But some may like it..  
Report Abuse

zlatka81 - 03/07/16 08:23

also, try local community college if it has allied health/nursing degrees. IMGs are hired to teach A&P. I went to the fair and they hired me right away, per course pay is good too. I ended up getting another job though.  
Report Abuse

Page 1 of 2     [Next >]     [Last >>]

[<<First]   [<Prev]  ... Message ...  [Next >]   [Last >>]

Logon to post a new Message/Reply

Google
  Web USMLEforum.com

Step 1 Step 2 CK Step 2 CS Matching & Residency Step 3 Classifieds
LoginUSMLE LinksHome