Matching & Residency
Step 3
Classifieds

Archives

SOAP Begins in: 

<<   < *  Matching & Residency   *  >   >>  

* What about H1B VISA FOR DOCTORS
  drmuthurd - 01/31/17 07:37

Will our H1B come under cap too. Does any of the program stated anything about the change in this scenariojust before the match season. Whats gonna happen for H1 b visa for doctors  
Report Abuse

* Re:What about H1B VISA FOR DOCTORS
  triscuits - 01/31/17 07:40

The H1B visa programs are supposedly next to be revised through his executive orders:

http://www.business-standard.com/article/international/donald-trump-s-new-exe...0090_1.html

Report Abuse

drmuthurd - 01/31/17 07:46

god knows whats gonna happen. Very bad timing.  
Report Abuse

pressurepoint11 - 01/31/17 08:29

https://news.aamc.org/press-releases/article/executive-order-immigrat...ion-013017/  
Report Abuse

barefoot - 01/31/17 08:45

Damn! They will argue that every other country places their own nationals first before looking to foreigners. Even liberal, immigrant welcoming Canada will not look at us before they have placed their nationals. The US has been very generous and no new laws are needed when it comes to the H1b visa. They have just looked the other way and not enforced the current regulations under which employers are obligated to "obligations to recruit U.S. workers, to offer the job to U.S. applicants who are equally or better qualified than the H-1B nonimmigrant(s) sought for the job, and to avoid the displacement of U.S. workers." One thing is clear-we have no footing and cannot be demanding. We do not have the debts the US-IMGs have and need to be empathetic in our quest. Tread cautiously.  
Report Abuse

drmuthurd - 01/31/17 11:35

No affirmative or decisive information on H1B visa for doctors is available. Whats gonna happen in march and then the run up to visa application for residency. I contacted few of the programs I interviewed in, no one knows anything  
Report Abuse

mindful - 01/31/17 11:51

That is right, drmuthurd . I work in an academic place and no one knows yet. Here they are working normally as in previous years so far.

Report Abuse

psyched92 - 01/31/17 13:10

What about the H1B visa cap? Does it apply to me?

Under current law, the great majority of medical training programs are QUALIFYING INSTITUTIONS and thus you would be EXEMPT from the cap. QUALIFYING institutions include those which are non-profit institutions affiliated with institutions of higher educations, institutions of higher education, and nonprofit governmental research organizations (please refer to our section on H visas for further information about cap issues).

Ref- http://www.mdgreencard.com/temporary_h1b_residents.html#8
Not sure if it holds true still, but cap shouldn't matter normally

Report Abuse

amiqtstudents - 01/31/17 13:14

Recommend not traveling my friend. His Highness, Donald Trump already revoked those on VISA and they were in Residency. This is the harsh truth my friend. Trump has said, Americans first, for the last year 80% of 80,000 visa were given to Indians. Trump has also clarified that number will decrease. If you are here, then stay, since traveling will cost you your spot in USA. Bless Trump. Nothing personal, don't risk to lose your visa and then complain.  
Report Abuse

barefoot - 01/31/17 13:43

I can just see programs erring on the side of caution and not hiring those with visa needs. There were already signs of that during interviews. Many programs I interview at stated they were either only offering J1 visas or no at all even though their web sites may have stated the contrary. Who wants to be stuck with empty spots because candidates were not able to secure a visa?  
Report Abuse

workhard11 - 12/11/17 19:55

Merit and chain migration. Will it affect now?  
Report Abuse

Page 1 of 4     [Next >]     [Last >>]

[<<First]   [<Prev]  ... Message ...  [Next >]   [Last >>]

Logon to post a new Message/Reply

Google
  Web USMLEforum.com

Step 1 Step 2 CK Step 2 CS Matching & Residency Step 3 Classifieds
LoginUSMLE LinksHome