Step 2 CS
Matching & Residency
Step 3
Classifieds

Archives

<<   < *  Matching & Residency   *  >   >>  

* MPH Vs Ph.D. in Neuroscience
  optimisticpositive - 10/07/17 14:40

I am already enrolled in one university for the MPH Program.
The second university I just applied to is the 4rth top US University for the MPH Program. It's highly competitive.
On the other hand, I always wanted to do the Ph-D in Neuroscience if I wouldn't get into residency. After I emailed them I got a highly encouraging reply from their dept. yesterday. But, they want me to clear the GRE test or my application won't be even considered.
I need your advice. Please guide me through this.
If anyone could tell me which one either MPH or the Ph.D. in Neuroscience will help more in the match process.
I'll be very thankful to you.
Best wishes to everyone

Report Abuse

* Re:MPH Vs Ph.D. in Neuroscience
  zainmd - 10/07/17 16:41

Optimisticpositive..

I want to know the answer to the same question..maybe add Physician assistant to the query too..

Also, do you have to complete some kind of pre-requisites for the PhD Neuroscience? Also, what about the fee structure or they offer scholarship etc..?

Thanks.

Report Abuse

optimisticpositive - 10/07/17 16:57

The university I am going for do offer stipend per month I heard from someone I knew. They do offer a scholarship, stipend, financial assistance or financial aid. I'll find it out later once get accepted.
I read his email again, and it says I technically do not have to submit a GRE score. Here is what he mentioned in his email to me.

"As for the GRE, my advice is to take it and submit your scores. You do not technically have to submit a GRE score, but if you donít, your application will look incomplete and we will not have an equal reference of comparison. This will hurt your application. You should also submit your USMLE score as this will give your application additional criteria which we can review."

Report Abuse

optimisticpositive - 10/07/17 17:38

About to become a PA. They also need a GRE score. The PA program is highly competitive too. I'll find out if the GRE could be waived for those done with USMLE.
I do not think the PA master Program could help us in the match process. but, it could earn us annually $80,000-100,000 depending on which state we live in.
I was encouraged applying to the second highly competitive University for the MPH after I found that I do not have to submit a GRE score If I am done with USMLE. It encouraged me and I emailed the University to find out about their neuroscience Ph.D. So technically I do not have to submit a score. The Ph.D. Coordinator also set up a phone call with me Wednesday. Let's see what happens.

Report Abuse

zainmd - 10/07/17 19:42

Thanks for the info..

I don't understand,,,having an ECFMG certificate waive us from taking a GRE? Do they require some kind of Neuro related experience or anything? Whats the job market after that PhD?

Also, does a Neuroscience PhD help in getting a Psych. residency?

Report Abuse

optimisticpositive - 10/08/17 12:21

yes, it can help in SOME NOT ALL psych program.

Here is what they emailed me.

"As for the GRE, my advice is to take it and submit your scores.

You do not technically have to submit a GRE score, but if you donít, your application will look incomplete and we will not have an equal reference of comparison. This will hurt your application. You should also submit your USMLE score as this will give your application additional criteria which we can review."

As it mentioned above, I do not think the Ph.D. neuroscience program would waive a GRE score.
It was waived by those two Universities I applied for the MPH. One of which was one of the top US University.

Report Abuse

zainmd - 10/08/17 22:57

Okay..thanks.  
Report Abuse

zainmd - 10/08/17 22:58

Are you going to take GRE..?

How about Step 3..are you done with it?

Report Abuse

optimisticpositive - 10/08/17 23:34

I have done Step 3.
Yes, I'll have to.

Report Abuse

drmle24 - 10/09/17 01:40

@optimisticpositive

Can I get your skype ID. I am a Neurology applicant currently swaying between Phd neuroscience and MHA

Report Abuse

zainmd - 10/09/17 12:27

@optimisticpositive

Good luck for the GRE !!

Report Abuse

Page 1 of 2     [Next >]     [Last >>]

[<<First]   [<Prev]  ... Message ...  [Next >]   [Last >>]

Logon to post a new Message/Reply

Google
  Web USMLEforum.com

Step 1 Step 2 CK Step 2 CS Matching & Residency Step 3 Classifieds