Step 2 CS
Matching & Residency
Step 3
Classifieds

Archives

<<   < *  Step 1   *  >   >>  

* lactic acidosis
  zalak148 - 06/12/18 08:56

hey! can someone please explain how impaired gluconeogenesis or glycogenolysis causes lactic acidosis?  
Report Abuse

* Re:lactic acidosis
  cardio69 - 06/12/18 14:38

Lactic acid produced by anaerobic or aerobic glycolysis world?
Can be oxidized to CO2 & & what in TCA cycle? Or how you think can reconvert -> to sugar in hep?

Report Abuse

zalak148 - 06/12/18 15:45

oh ok so the only way to get rid of lactic acid is through gluconeogenesis!! did I get it right? thanks in advance :)  
Report Abuse

cardio69 - 06/12/18 16:17

You didn’t answer my Q:) that's not what u ask here.

Let’s try again; to take you home.
How you think from pahtophyso your pov, we classify the lactic acidosis?

Report Abuse

zalak148 - 06/12/18 16:43

alright! I will try. lactic acid is produced by anaerobic glycolysis. it cannot be oxidized to CO2 or enter TCA cycle. and at last lactic acidosis classification- I don't know the exact classification but it may be caused by increased metabolism, decreased O2 supply or decreased blood flow to liver.  
Report Abuse

cardio69 - 06/12/18 17:55

“Lactic acid” created by anaerobic glycolysis & we could say may either be oxidized -> CO2 & WATER or in liver/hep reconvert -> Sugar. You understand TCA cycle & gluconeogenesis NEED O2. Now, in anaerobic glycolysis is NON O2 requiring path.

We can classified lactic acidosis; HYPOXIC OR NON HYPOXIC or type A & type B.

i.e.; ischemia or septic fall in hypoxic and B1 def or let say methanol/or CN- fall in NON hypoxic (long list)

Report Abuse

zalak148 - 06/13/18 05:36

okay but still how do you explain lactic acidosis in impaired gluconeogenesis? if lactic acid can be metabolised to CO2 and water

Report Abuse

cardio69 - 06/13/18 16:30

All my Qs should have open that ans for you.
In general term ( bz I don’t know what’s your specific Q on “gluconeogenesis”)

Lactic acidosis can result of inhibition of LACTATE* utilization in gluconeogenesis (e.g. as you know let say defect in aldolase in HFI pat Or anther exp for you; in G 6-P def as you see all path that use glucose 6-P block, G/6-P can be shunted -> glycolysis & -> lactate produce.

So, if in any cases combo or solo effect of impaired gluconeogenesis (& ↑ anaerobic glycolysis pic converts in the liver) from an organ that consumes* & H to 1 that generate huge amounts -> lactic ACID. Let say in cases of hypoxia in your pat with cardiac arrest -> you see marked lactic acidosis…

And for you last confusion; "if lactic acid can be metabolised to CO2 and water" WHAT DID I SAY YOU NEED IN TCA CYCLE & gluconeogenesis to oxidize them/lactic acid -> CO2 and water ?

Report Abuse

Page 1 of 1          

[<<First]   [<Prev]  ... Message ...  [Next >]   [Last >>]

Logon to post a new Message/Reply

Google
  Web USMLEforum.com

Step 1 Step 2 CK Step 2 CS Matching & Residency Step 3 Classifieds
LoginUSMLE LinksHome