Step 2 CS
Matching & Residency
Step 3
Classifieds

Archives

<<   < *  Step 2 CK   *  >   >>  

* Surgery Form 03
  kennychan - 01/02/18 22:48

A 19-year-old man comes to the emergency department because of sever generalized abdominal pain for 12 hours. He has had increasing episodes of diarrhea for 6 weeks and bloody diarrhea for 4 days. He has had no bowel movements since the onset of abdominal pain. He appears pale and ill. His temperature is 38.9 C, and pulse is 144/min. Abdominal shows diffuse tenderness with hypoactive bowel sounds. Rectal examination shows bloody stool. An x-ray of the abdomen shows a transverse colon 8 cm in diameter but no free air. Which of the following is the mostly likely diagnosis?
a) Angiodysphasia of the colon
b) Antibiotic-associated colitis
c) Arteriovenous malformation of the colon
d) Diverticulitis
e) Ischemic colitis
f) Pseudomembranous colitis
g) Rectal carcinoid
h) Ulcerative colitis
i) Volvulus of the colon

I think it is i, but not really sure. Thank you for your opinions!

Report Abuse

* Re:Surgery Form 03
  kennychan - 01/02/18 23:17

A 32-year-old man is brought to the emergency department 30 minutes after a head-on motor vehicle collision in which he was the restrained driver. On arrival, he is in severe respiratory distress. Breath sounds are decreased over the left hemothorax. There is crepitant swelling over the face, neck, and hemothorax. An x-ray of the chest shows extensive subcutaneous air and a left pneumothorax. After proper placement of a left chest tube, the patient has a persistent large air leak. Which of the following likely diagnosis?
a) Esophageal injury
b) Open pneumothorax
c) Ruptured bronchus
d) Tension pneumothorax

I think the answer is d, but not really sure. Thank you for your opinions!

Report Abuse

archananair - 01/03/18 23:09

answer is ulcerative colitis . Transverse colon dilated secondary to toxic megacolon which is a complication of uc  
Report Abuse

archananair - 01/03/18 23:11

A 32-year-old man is brought to the emergency department 30 minutes after a head-on motor vehicle collision in which he was the restrained driver. On arrival, he is in severe respiratory distress. Breath sounds are decreased over the left hemothorax. There is crepitant swelling over the face, neck, and hemothorax. An x-ray of the chest shows extensive subcutaneous air and a left pneumothorax. After proper placement of a left chest tube, the patient has a persistent large air leak. Which of the following likely diagnosis?
a) Esophageal injury
b) Open pneumothorax
c) Ruptured bronchus
d) Tension pneumothorax
ans: Ruptured bronchus . Patient has sc emphysema and continuous airleak

Report Abuse

kennychan - 01/04/18 21:07

Thank You!  
Report Abuse

Page 1 of 1          

[<<First]   [<Prev]  ... Message ...  [Next >]   [Last >>]