Step 3
Classifieds

Archives

SOAP Begins in: 

<<   < *  Matching & Residency   *  >   >>  

* Very old graduate thinking of taking step 3
  zeek66 - 06/10/18 20:06

I need the forum's input and advice

I am an old graduate , 2000, and wrote my steps 1 and 2 ( both parts) but never matched (in 2008/2009). For family and financial reasons I needed to work asap so I transitioned into nursing and am now a practicing NP for last 3 years. Did 2 years in FNP and now joined an endocrinology group in a major health system for last one year. I am also a certified diabetic educator. Still dream of being an MD some day. I have not done step 3.
Since it is over 10 years from my step exams what is the rule about repeating and improving step performance...my scores were not that good. Realistically what are my chances ? Also am a US citizen.
This is my first time on this forum. Looking to make some good online study buddies maybe and for some good advice.
thanks in advice for your time!

Report Abuse

* Re:Very old graduate thinking of taking step 3
  zeek66 - 06/10/18 20:07

I mean, thanks in advance fr your time!

Report Abuse

parmesh495 - 06/14/18 12:57

As you are an ECFMG certified you cannot take the steps again and try to apply for Step-3 exam you may have chances. Also, along with the scores you need to gain continuous hands-on clinical experience which makes the application strong and provide strong LORs. Also try to get connections which can help during the match process.  
Report Abuse

aishakhan2697 - 06/16/18 21:05

@zeek66 im in same position as u, im 2010 grad, my scores are low, i applied last yr but got no interviews. Im looking into nursing, as i need to support my family financially. Do u think u can give me advice about nursing? In clueless, do i need to go to community college first and then go for nursing school? How many yrs it took u to get nursing degree? Did u do it from private institut? kindly if u have time plz email me at mi_usmle@yahoo.com
Im in NJ state and im US citizen and ecfmg certified.
Ill very thankful to you.

Report Abuse

darkhorse - 06/17/18 14:15

ts never too late but its not easy. You have to prove that you still have the energy and enthusiasm to work. probably doing some research work will help. As far as I know, you typically have to redo steps after 10 yrs but I may be wrong. best to write a letter to ECFMG in regards to current rules.  
Report Abuse

mustafamustafamustaf - 06/18/18 04:56

It depends on which residency you think. Some programs do not sponsor for visa. You can apply to them. My friendly advice to you is that you must get a very high stellar score from step 3 and than get hospital-letterhead recommendation letters. That you are currently active in health care system is another plus for you. With my best regards.  
Report Abuse

scholarbanda - 06/21/18 22:49

Only few states like FL have no year-limit for USMLE Step1 and 2 for eligibility of Step3. Most sates have 3 years and 5 years time period for the eligibility of step3.
Even after Step3, there is no guarantee for securing a slot in Residency. But work hard...

Report Abuse

scholarbanda - 06/21/18 22:50

sorry for typo mistake, I mean eligibility time-period for step3 after passing step1 & 2  
Report Abuse

struggling10 - 06/25/18 20:57

Hi guys. Im in the same boat. old grad and ecfmg certified, no step 3. I have been struggling for 10 years, i have kids, no grandparents to help with the kids and that is why i struggled a lot to finish exams. I also have too many financial problems now, I need a job.  
Report Abuse

paddy19 - 06/27/18 20:01

Hello,
I guess a lot of us are in the same boat. My story is also very similar. Got ECFMG certified in 2009 but now am trying to take step 3. I applied for psychiatry residency in 2016 and got 3 interviews without Step 3, and where I knew no one but didn't match, but I was hopeful. I was unable to re-apply in 2017 because my family and I were hit by the Hurricane. All am saying is always try and follow your dreams.

The main difference between the US and UK is that over there once you write your PLAB 1&2 exams you are eligible to practice and see patients and make money without necessarily having to do a residency! It's so sad how the system here renders a doctor useless to their society after acquiring relevant skills to save lives. A doctor should not be at home or doing odd jobs! Meanwhile in the news we hear of shortage of doctors all across the US!What an irony.

To the best of my knowledge it's not possible to retake the exam after passing any steps unless the State board requires that a doctor retakes them. Please call FSMB for more info on that. You have extensive clinical experience. Prepare and take Step 3 and you might be surprised at the outcome! A lot of time no one knows what a program is looking for in an applicant. The more interviews you get the better your chnaces of matching. All the best.

Report Abuse

shammb - 07/15/18 15:27

@aishakhan . Is it okay if I email you to discuss about nursing. I have completed my usmle steps. Thank you. You can also email me at shabnam_mmb@yahoo.com or mmbashafamily@gmail.com. Thank you.  
Report Abuse

Page 1 of 1          

[<<First]   [<Prev]  ... Message ...  [Next >]   [Last >>]

Logon to post a new Message/Reply

Google
  Web USMLEforum.com

Step 1 Step 2 CK Step 2 CS Matching & Residency Step 3 Classifieds
LoginUSMLE LinksHome