Matching & Residency
Step 3
Classifieds

Archives

SOAP Begins in: 

<<   < *  Matching & Residency   *  >   >>  

* Nursing to residency
  foreigndr - 08/02/18 13:38

Tried/applied for residency match for three four years. Currently in a nursing program, half way through with a vision of applying again. Anybody in same situation? Please reply.  
Report Abuse

* Re:Nursing to residency
  rkus - 08/04/18 19:02

hi where are you doing the nursing program? How long is it?

Did you have to take the prerequisites ?

Report Abuse

foreigndr - 08/04/18 22:41

I am doing it in a community college. It is six quarters long which takes two years. I had to take prerequisites. But if you have transcript that fulfills their requirements you may not have to take everything. I am in Washington State.  
Report Abuse

zainmd - 08/06/18 14:07

Hello Foreigndr
I am also interested in applying for BSN nursing (the accelerated program) and then go down the NP route while still applying for a residency. Is the admission process for BSN competitive? Also, what is the take of the college on the fact that a physician is going to a nursing school? What should I mention in my personal statement?
I would really appreciate your input.
Thank you.

Report Abuse

foreigndr - 08/07/18 14:14

Hi, accelerated BSN is a perfect choice. I have not gone for that myself. As a medical graduate you should have advantage/preference. If I were you I would go to their information session if they have any, request an appointment with one of their instructor/adviser if possible and talk with them. I was honest with my situation in my personal statement. I explained what motivated me to follow this route. My school/instructors are nice. I do not sense any negativity on the fact that being a physician I am attending a nursing school. Hope you find this helpful.  
Report Abuse

mithra2017 - 08/07/18 15:59

@zainmd, I completed BSN accelerated program. Meeting with the Program coordinator will surely help. Your Personal statement mostly highlight your passion towards Clinical/Patient experiences. Please do not mention anything about USMLE or Residency to anyone in the program. Though I observed most of the students aim for Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA) and rest of them for NP programs in future. Your goal will be residency. Good luck!  
Report Abuse

zainmd - 08/08/18 14:16

Thank you for the reply Foreigndr and mithra2017. I really appreciate your inputs.

@mithra..how is the accelerated program? Is it doable with family/kids? Is the NCLEX tough? Also, what is the job prospect after completion of BSN?

Thank you.

Report Abuse

reactant - 08/08/18 19:27

@zainmd

the NCLEX is not tough. Go to uworld.com and check out their sample questions on uworld. Cake.

Job prospects: huge

Accelerated programs: vary but its a full time intense program. generally the first few course will be easy for MDs, ie Anatomy and physio, patho, pharm

Source: nurse before MD

Report Abuse

zainmd - 08/09/18 12:34

@reactant
Thank you for the input. I appreciate that.

Report Abuse

Page 1 of 1          

[<<First]   [<Prev]  ... Message ...  [Next >]   [Last >>]

Logon to post a new Message/Reply

Google
  Web USMLEforum.com

Step 1 Step 2 CK Step 2 CS Matching & Residency Step 3 Classifieds
LoginUSMLE LinksHome