Step 1
Step 2 CK
Step 2 CS
Matching & Residency
Step 3
Classifieds

Archives

<<   < *  Step 3   *  >   >>  

* step 1 retake failure, consequencce on step 3 ?!
  craeschen - 07/11/18 14:15

I am an IMG...
I have a question regarding my eligibility for step 1 & 3.
I recently had a retake of step 1 which I passed 11 years ago but unfortunately failed this time. (I have not taken step 2 and 3 yet; after many years working in another country, I try to move back to US to become licensed...)

I read through the USMLE 2018 bulletin which stated "If you have not yet passed Step 3 and need to retake a previously passed Step 1 or Step 2examination in order to meet a time limit imposed by a US medical licensing authority or another authority recognized by the USMLE program, you should understand that if you fail a retake, you will no longer be eligible to take Step 3. In order to meet the examination requirements for Step 3 eligibility, you must have achieved a passing performance on the most recent administration of the examinations intended to meet those requirements."
The above statement is a little confusing to me. According to the statement and my status, does it mean that I will NEVER be allowed to take step 3? Or, if I retake step 1 again and pass, then I will still have the chance of being allowed to take step 3? Your authoritative replies to these questions are very crucial to me, as I am wondering if I need to retake the exams. Thanks!!

Report Abuse

* Re:step 1 retake failure, consequencce on step 3 ?
  fjb786 - 07/11/18 17:07

hi,
so from what I understand according the statement you posted:
You are eligible to take step 3 until you pass step 1

But because you failed the retake, it seems you are not allowed to take the step 3. That part makes sense.
Step 1 and 2 must be passed in order to take step 3

But are you allowed to retake step 1 again? that I am not sure about. you should be allowed to retake step 1. For this you should probably directly call FSMB, ECFMG, or USMLE. It can be a pain, but one them might be able to better direct you on this particular matter.

Also consider applying for a state license that doesn't have such strict passing limits. Meaning try to apply for licensure for a state like NY, which doesn't have limitations on how many times or years you take to pass the steps. As long you pass them.

side note, I am in a similar position. Its been 12 years since i passed step 1. I am considering to retake it as well. But statements like the one you posted can be scary and discouraging.

Either way, best of luck and hope you find your answers!

Report Abuse

Page 1 of 1          

[<<First]   [<Prev]  ... Message ...  [Next >]   [Last >>]

Logon to post a new Message/Reply

Google
  Web USMLEforum.com

Step 1 Step 2 CK Step 2 CS Matching & Residency Step 3 Classifieds
LoginUSMLE LinksHome