Matching & Residency
Step 3
Classifieds

Archives

SOAP Begins in: 

<<   < *  Matching & Residency   *  >   >>  

* Psychiatry Match chances - need your help, guys
  gioco91 - 03/13/19 07:49

Hey guys, I`ve been very pessimist about matching in psychiatry since I got my step 1 score (199). I decided to start and finish my psychiatry residency program here in Brazil so I could have an additional training and experience. I also have a 225 step 2 ck and step 2 cs 1st attempt pass. I have one or two (3 actually) publications in the area, 2 Lors and 3 psychiatric clerkships/observerships.

To sum up , here are my credentials:

- Step 1 : 199 :(
- Step 2 CK: 225
- Step 2 CS: Pass 1st attempt
- 2 Lors
- 3 Clerkships in the area
- Some publications, psychiatry courses/summer schools in the US and Canada and elective in Neuropsychiatry at the U of Toronto.

I really would not care about the location or the program "quality" as long as I have a spot. I could apply to as many as possible but I am really upset with my credentials (specially due to step 1 score).

Guys, being honest, do you think I could stand a chance?

Thanks a lot and good luck to everyone!

Report Abuse

* Re:Psychiatry Match chances - need your help, guys
  drvandorn - 03/17/19 20:50

Recently psych is a very popular field, I know a lot of American medical students who applied for it. I would say it is unlikely that you could match. If this was 10 years ago, it is possible, but now unfortunately it is unlikely.

Report Abuse

nandu@peds - 03/18/19 14:10

Don"t be disheartened just apply, some time only scores will not matter so much. we should always try for better outcome.  
Report Abuse

gioco91 - 03/18/19 17:57

Ruano you nandu @peds , you inspired me ! I am Going to finish my residency here, my master and phd degree and keep ali my fingers crossed! :)  
Report Abuse

santhosh - 03/21/19 09:51

Yes you still have chance to get matched, get hands-on clinical experience in the US which helps in making the your CV strong and show the PDs that you will be clinically active. Get a minimum of 4 LORs it will improve. Complete Step 3 exam it will strengthen the application.  
Report Abuse

kavya@4a1 - 03/22/19 13:44

Which specialty you want to apply into?

If you complete Step 3 and get continuous hands-on clinical experience for improving the CV and can show PDs that you are clinically active. Also, try to get connections that can help your application better.

Report Abuse

* RE: ”Are we ‘Cooking hamburgers, here…’?”
  rezsuccessstory2019 - 03/22/19 15:27

” (Online REVIEWS?)))?????

RE:

I do not know about you…but an IMG’s passage of the USMLE with a first attempt high score, for almost anyone with reasonable (1 year) US clinical experience, creates a 70-85% chance of matching in a primary care residency in the USA. Failure, will seriously reduce those numbers…We are not ‘looking for hot dogs or hamburgers here…, ‘ in order to get their (Amazon?) ratings. The people that write very unusual and unverified information on these fora, appear to not have any “idea what they are talking about...“ (‘blind leading the blind???...’).
They also fail to realize that given the above-described importance of the USMLE, and clinical experience with good letters of recommendation, that these credentials are very likely (add Spanish speaking, and research, and grad degrees etc) to lead to jobs that will start at $130K, and escalate very quickly-with 4-5 years of practice experience- to $180-$240+k per annum in total compensation packages.
In light of the above overall circumstance, I strongly advise you to view an IMG- friend’s (Now a PGY-V) ‘real story-‘ 187,387+ views-(FULL-BLOWN WORK-UP)- blog with the keywords’ search terms provided below (along with a topical index). GL and GB YOU..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

FREE Registration Information at TOP KEY WORDS’ SEARCH RESULT (187,386
views):

IMG passed USMLE and got IM residency
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

• “Landing here…”

• Paid jobs

• Clinical experience

• Research experience

• Graduate programs

• USMLE passage-GUARANTEED and non guaranteed (“ THE REAL STORY”)

o Course (online or live or other tutoring services)
 Experiences,
 Comparisons,
 Outcomes tallied

• ERAS

• “IMG-favoring-” residencies

• LORS

• Statements

• Interviews

• Residency

• Salaries

• Practice development

Report Abuse