Step 3
Classifieds

Archives

SOAP Begins in: 

<<   < *  Matching & Residency   *  >   >>  

* UK Medic to USA
  ukmedic - 07/23/19 07:57

Hi guys

I'm just going into 2nd year of medical school here in the UK (It's a 5 year undergraduate program here). For personal reasons, I am determined to do residency in and permanently move to the US. I have spent this summer doing 3 months of research and got 2 publications (although I'm not the first author of either). Some of my work has also been shown at international conferences, by my supervisor.

I will have another 6 months of research (hopefully more) experience by the time Medical School finishes. Hopefully this will yield to further publications and the like.

In our final year, we have an 8 week "elective" which is a rotation we can do abroad. I plan to go to the US in this period to gain experience in the specialty of my choice.

Of course I know that I need to score as highly as possible in the USMLE exams.

I am willing to do a year of research in the US after I finish medical school, and would be extremely open to doing that, even just to gain a foothold in the US.

My questions are the following :
- Will I be at any advantage for completing Medical School in the UK, compared to graduates of Asian/African medical schools?
- Other than my 8 week elective, how can I gain clinical experience in the US?
- How difficult is it to do a "year in research" in the US post-medical school? This is something channels like IMG coaching have recommended
- My personal preference would be to be in California, Seattle or New York City. How is the difficulty in obtaining a residency in each of these locations respectively?

I am currently undecided in terms of my choice of residency. We start clinical rotations here in 3rd year. I am willing to go into any specialty to get to the US, although obviously I would prefer to be doing what I choose to do.

Report Abuse

* Re:UK Medic to USA
  drjz82 - 09/23/19 19:50

asklepaediausa

agree with you. I have heard similar stuff. Thanks for confirmation

Report Abuse

* Re:UK Medic to USA
  summer82 - 03/24/20 09:56

@ asklepaediausa

thank you for the info.Where can I find further info regarding the MRCGP being recognised in the US and only needing one year of US residency to get the license.

Thank you

Report Abuse

[<< First]     [< Prev]     Page 2 of 2          

[<<First]   [<Prev]  ... Message ...  [Next >]   [Last >>]

Logon to post a new Message/Reply

Google
  Web USMLEforum.com

Step 1 Step 2 CK Step 2 CS Matching & Residency Step 3 Classifieds
LoginUSMLE LinksHome