Step 1
Step 2 CK
Step 2 CS
Matching & Residency
Step 3
Classifieds

Archives

<<   < *  Step 2 CK   *  >   >>  

* free150- Bee sting - doc plz explain why?
  mocha260 - 09/11/20 03:52

A 23-year-old man who is on active duty in the US Army comes to the clinic 1 hour after sustaining a bee sting to his right cheek. The patient reports continued pain at the site of the sting, but he has not had shortness of breath, throat tightness, loss of vision, or other neurologic symptoms. Medical history is unremarkable. He takes no medications. The patient has no known allergies. He is 178 cm (5 ft 10 in) tall and weighs 64 kg (140 lb); BMI is 20 . Temperature is 37.0C (98.6F), pulse is 86/min, respirations are 10/min, and blood pressure is
120/70 mm Hg. Examination of the right cheek shows an erythematous, swollen area of induration surrounding a central clear area with the stinger in situ. The swelling encroaches on the lower aspect of the patient's right orbit, which appears puffy and mildly dusky. After the stinger is removed, which of the following is the most appropriate next step in management?

(A) Administer an injection of epinephrine
(B) Admit the patient to the hospital for intravenous vancomycin therapy
(C) Cleanse the site and apply ice
(D) Obtain an ophthalmologist consultation
(E) Prescribe oral clindamycin

I was worried about his eye... I picked D... :( .....

Report Abuse

* Re:free150- Bee sting - doc plz explain wh
  mocha260 - 09/12/20 04:06

I guess the eye symptoms aren't severe enough to bother the ophthalmologist who might not respond ever again if we keep bothering him/her with minor eye cases. lol ....  
Report Abuse

Page 1 of 1          

[<<First]   [<Prev]  ... Message ...  [Next >]   [Last >>]

Logon to post a new Message/Reply

Google
  Web USMLEforum.com

Step 1 Step 2 CK Step 2 CS Matching & Residency Step 3 Classifieds
LoginUSMLE LinksHome