Step 2 CS
Matching & Residency
Step 3
Classifieds

Archives

<<   < *  Step 2 CK   *  >   >>  

* Fred - Renal q -
  mocha260 - 09/12/20 04:48

. A previously healthy 20-year-old woman, who is a sophomore in college, is brought to the emergency department by her roommates because of an 8-hour history of weakness and vomiting blood and a 2-day history of dizziness.
She has no history of similar symptoms. She says she overeats in response to the stress of her classes. She induces vomiting after consuming a significant amount of food because she feels "too full" and "out of control." She now vomits almost daily. She feels she is slightly overweight. She is physically active and exercises moderately two to three times weekly. She does not use laxatives or diuretics. She has many friends and enjoys going out socially. She takes no medications. She drinks three to four beers on weekends and does not use illicit drugs. She appears uncomfortable and is tearful and mildly diaphoretic. She is 157 cm (5 ft 2 in) tall and weighs 59 kg (130 lb); BMI is 24 kg/m2 . Temperature is 37.5C (99.5F), pulse is 115/min and regular, and blood pressure is 100/68 mm Hg. Examination shows tender parotid glands bilaterally and poor dentition. Results of laboratory studies are most likely to show which of the following in this patient?

K+ Cl− HCO3

For this q, I was thinking .....
vomit causes CL loss so decr and K also is also lost so K is decr....

Now the part of compensation ----- I was thinking at 8hrs since vomiting, renal compensation have started so renal would try to decr HCO3 too maintain the metabolic alkalosis.

or is it after 48 hrs that renal compensation takes place? I'm confused

Report Abuse

Page 1 of 1          

[<<First]   [<Prev]  ... Message ...  [Next >]   [Last >>]

Logon to post a new Message/Reply

Google
  Web USMLEforum.com

Step 1 Step 2 CK Step 2 CS Matching & Residency Step 3 Classifieds
LoginUSMLE LinksHome