Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Acidosis vs Alkalosis Q--------------q - eithr
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/52/unledqxu.jpg/
Please answer with explanation.
Sorry for fail to type.
BB
Hi, Sarim,
Yes, it is. Can u explain me how do u differentiate respiratory or metabolic in this graph?
The ans is B because let us first see respiratory alkalosis in which the co2 goes down and ph goes up also in respi acidosis co2 goes up and ph goes down so the one in which the co2 is going up is pt C and the CO2 going down is PT B and then as far as metabolic acidosis and alkalosis are considered everything goes in the same direction but only one choice has respi acidosis as C therefore it should be B.
I would go with BB
thanks for the Q Smile

Try this:

Values "Below Normal" and "Above Normal"

If Both (PCO2 and HCO3) values are "Below Normal":

-One will be "Very Low"(Primary Cause) and other will be "Slightly Low"(Compensatory response)

-The one which is "Very Low" (Primary Cause)IF happened to be:
*HCO3 .......then it is "Metabolic Acidosis" (as is the case with "A" on the graph)
*PCO2 .......then it is "Respiratory Alkalosis" (as is the case with "B" on the graph)

If Both (PCO2 and HCO3) values are "ABOVE Normal":

-One will be "VERY High"(primary cause) and other will be "Slightly High"(compensatory response)

-The one which is "VERY High"(Primary cause) If happened to be:
*HCO3 ......then it is "Metabolic Alkalosis"( as is the case with "D" on the graph)
*PCO2 ......then it is "Respiratory Acidosis"(as is the case with "C" on the graph)

You can place two more points on this graph:
1-Mixed Alkalosis (PCO2 decr and HCO3 Incr)
2-Mixed Acidosis (PCO2 Inc and HCO3 decr)

-Note in the above two cases, Both values are in Opposite directions
(Try NBME 4 block 2 # 10)

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »