Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EAD query, plz help - happy_studying
@kindmd
Thank you for the reply. Before applying will have to check with the program regarding EAD. Best wishes to you. You are a recent graduate which will help you.
Hi, I am in the same boat. Hoping to get EAD by September and then be able to apply to programs which do not sponsor visas.

Do you all think we should start contacting programs of our interest and make them aware of this change ahead of time before the actual application starts. This way, they will have ample time to decide if this is something they will accept or not. I am pretty sure if they have no clue what H4 EAD is until say September, they will more than likely try to avoid it.

My concern is that programs may think what happens when say our husbands lose their job for whatever reasons. We will be out of status immediately, in middle of our training.
@residency12 i am not sure about ur queries (since i have not applied yet)
I hope someone who have already been there and done that will be able to better answer ur questions...

I would like to request all of you with EAD or those hoping to get their EAD by sept this year , let us keep in touch and continue the thread so that we can update each other about any information we get regarding benefits of having EAD or any other informations about it!!

Thank you
I am very skeptical about this whole ead thing .. I hope it really benefits us in terms of not needing visa sponsorship.. Fingers crossed
Lets see in next 6 mths will come to know.. But still wondering whether EAD will do or not?
See tht's the problem with EADs...they aren't valid for let's say 3 or 4 years...The one i used to have I had to renew it every 2 yrs..I even got one that I had to renew every year. If u somehow (and I don't think this is possible) get a EAD for atleast 4 yrs, then the programs would feel comfortable...cuz u have to remember, even a 3 yr EAD wouldn't work unless u get it like a month before u start residency..and tht's just IM or other 3 yr residency..if it's a 4 yr residency like obgyn or longer, then u are screwed.

And tht's where the programs panics cuz they only think the negatives "what if ur EAD doesn't renew".

And some programs honestly have no clue what an EAD is...it's usually those who do atleast J-1 visas know something about EADs...but the ones that say strictly US citizen/GC holder have no clue about EAD.

I wish you all the best in for the upcoming application process !!
I have an EAD but I did not feel like it helped me...I interviewed at 5 programs...but 2 of the programs who did not sponsor visas were very negative about my EAD. The PD talked to me over the phone about what would happen if my spouse looses her visa then my EAD would be gone too....even though she has been here for 9 yrs. Programs do not like ifs and buts which is what an EAD is...they want a sure thing like GC or US citizenship status even if this means they have to scrimp on the quality of the candidate.
Thanks for sharing this Cesar.

Now the question is, anyone out there who is doing residency on EAD?

As far as I know, this EAD is valid until spouse gets his green card. But the question is still valid: what if spouse loses his job in the mean time .

@cesar
great input. What about visa sponsoring programs, were they ok with an EAD?
Could you share your credentials?
@adds

My creds are: scores for step 1,2 and 3 are all in the 230s and 220s. YOG is 2009. An attempt on CS. First match.1 year of externships with reputable doctors who teach at hospitals....I'm done with this because I cannot think of a single thing which will improve my application. My situation will be the same next year.The scores will still be avg , YOG will still be 2009, there will still be at attempt on CS....can't really help that.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »