USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community

Full Version: BCG vaccine - indidoc
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Bcg is a live attenuated vaccine which protects against disseminated TB but not against pulmonary TB..
Can u tell me why??
I cant figure it out.
because BCG bacteria fail to induce the complete immune response required for the control of TB.
thanx luckyalways.. thats what i found at all places i looked fr an explanation.
i thought there would be some detailed mechanism fr it.
Smile)
Guess that needs more research.
Well for reasons unknown, several studies done to see BCG efficacy found out this disparity.

Check out the meta-analysis : Colditz GA, Brewer TF, Berkey CS, Wilson ME, Burdick E, Fineberg HV, et al. Efficacy of BCG vaccine in the prevention of tuberculosis. Meta-analysis of the published literature. JAMA 1994;271:698-702.

"The overall protective effect was 50% against TB infections. The BCG vaccine protected against pulmonary TB as well as against disseminated TB (78% protective effect), tuberculous meningitis (64% protective effect), and death (71% protective effect)"
hi adrenaline
i guess there's a lot of ambiguity abt bcg vaccine everywhere. all studies have yielded protection ranging from 0% to 80%. I guess we r yet to discover the final word on bcg after all these years Smile

Hey adrenaline, did u find a cure fr ur forum addiction?? LOL
I am addicted too....help!!