USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community

Full Version: mle is it really worth it - drslkalaskar
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi i am 33 year old., married &have one year old kid. passed masters in gen surgeryin 2001.cleared my MRCS I&II.but job situation in UK changed.taking on usmle.some say person who has done med graduation more than 5 years back dont stand a chance for surgical residency in us.is it really worth taking usmle at this age?.
please help me out
Well....let me tell u that u have to sort sort out the Q of worth it or not.

But as far as old grads are considered: Its true that some places don't accept old grads.....
REMEMBER....SOME.......as a matter of fact colleges can't discriminate candidates on the basis of age/sex/creed......
There are number of elderly grads aboard...some even 15-20 yrs old.....
GoodLuck on ur decision...!!!:-)
thanks dr placebo. i just joined kaplan yesterday
hi drslkalaskar, dont worry if you have a dream follow your dream. to tell you frankly im reviewing my step 1 right now and will take the exam by march.. i graduated 25 years ago.
diplomate and fellow in ob gyn in my country w/ good practice in this field but here iam sacrificing for my self fulfillment. in this country (US) no age descrimination right? well see..
Dear drslkalaskar,
i am based at Uk now 36 years old
I had given both step 1 and step 2 ck
wiith the job situation and uncertainities now here in the U.K i think we have only 2 options-either go back and look towards USA.
so think it over and make your decision-from what i see now U.K will not get better in the near future
ram