USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community

Full Version: dvt - ben
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
dvt prophylaxis for unambulatory knee surgery

My questions is are LMWH Contraindicated in Pts who will be going for Surgery but need DVT prophylasix in orthopedic type of surgeries ?

Also if CI then is Compression Boots the better Option?
i dont think heparin shd be contraindicated in pts going for sx as long as one monitors the PTT... but not sure..
i know that anticoagulants are CI if pt has had a recent surgery, or in case of active bleeding or hemorrhagic stroke, so in this situation if you diagnosed him with DVT, place IVC filter instead of anticoagulation
no uterus I am not talking about pt having been dx w/ DVT but rather prevention of DVT in a Pt who will go for orthopedic surgery soon
ok, then you got to anticoagulate her/him in the absense of CI, will be a perioperative prophylaxis
I know orthop surgeons start LMWH-heparin immediately after surgery.
a pt of 16 or less allows surgery...kaplan..but isn't prophylax started post op?
ben
i read somewhere that for orthopedic surgery, especially pelvic surgery, they prefer warfarin to heparin.
prophylaxis is given as deltaparin at least 12hrs before surgery and than at least 6 hrs after operation for DVT prophylaxis