USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community

Full Version: hellow all - zzetegn
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
mother develop acute rubella infection while she is 32 week pregnant . what do u do next ?
i think you do nothing.....because infection at 32 weeks, organogenesis already complete, not sure though.
oh thanks tiplehelixx !!! what if the GA is 5 weeks ? i can't find good info ???
I am not sure, zzetegn, but what i think is:
Even if there is rubella infection in 1st trimester, you do not do any intervention, because rubella infection is not always associated with fetal developmental anomaly, it just increase the risk of anomaly, so I think it is to monitor and f/up the fetal development, if there is any anomaly, you terminate the pregnancy, if no anomaly, you let it continue.

This is JUST what i think, may be pretty wrong, no idea !!
I know it did not help you ,anyway, sorry.
i think rubella infection in first trimester is an indication of abortion...95% chance of congenital anomay
yes, darkhorse is right, just checked online, here you go:

Rubella a mild illness caused by infection with rubivirus, an RNA togavirus. Spread of the virus is by droplets from the respiratory tract. However rubella infection during pregnancy is potentially teratogenic (see congenital rubella syndrome for details), with the risk of fetal infection greatest if maternal infection occurs during the first trimester:

fetal damage occurs in up to 90% in cases of maternal rubella infection in the first 8-10 weeks (1)
risk of fetal damage declines to about 10-20% by 16 weeks (1)
fetal damage as a result of maternal rubella infection is rare after 16 weeks gestation
Other points to note concerning maternal exposure to rubella during pregnancy include:

vaccination is contraindicated during pregnancy; the value of gammaglobulin (passive immunisation) is disputed
immunity to rubella is not always lifelong and therefore immunity should be checked at booking
if rubella infection is suspected during pregnancy then expert advice should be consulted. The diagnosis should always be confirmed - via virus isolation, or antibody tests showing seroconversion or specific IgM. This is irrespective of history of immunisation, clinical rubella or previous postive rubella antibody result (1)
therapeutic abortion is generally recommended after proven infection during the first trimester. The doctor must counsel her as to the risks associated with congenital rubella syndrome
congenital rubella has been reported after cases of rubella re-infection during pregnancy. Rubella re-infection can occur in individuals with both natural and vaccine-induced antibody (1)
thank u both zillion times!!! i owe u guys
so that means...For the Q above...jus do nothing except careful follow up?