USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community

Full Version: DH or ELBA,or anyone plz ans. - aerobes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
kindly would u guys tell me how to differntiate b/w post op atelactasis,post op pneumonia, post op ARDS in trauma pt as all present with sob,dec in O2,and in case of ARDS and pneumonia interstitial infilterate.
ill appreciate ur inputs,
infact any input from anyone is more than welcome.
my posts usually remain unanswered.
thanks.ARDS can also occur with 24 hrs of insult to lung.
post op atelactasis presents within hrs...like within 24hrs...with high fever and hypoxia....if untreated...it can go for pneumonia.....so 1st day...atelactasis.....2nd day most likely pneumonia.....

ARDS is completely different...with different X ray pic...Po2/Fio2 should be less than 200...with B/L pathcy infiltrate on CXR
PO2 <200...i understand that...

PO2/FiO2 < 200......what do you mean?
Diagnostic Criteria for Adult Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS)

Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) is a syndrome of inflammation and increased permeability associated with a constellation of clinical, radiologic, and physiologic abnormalities unexplained by elevations in left atrial or pulmonary capillary pressure.

All definitions of this syndrome include patients who meet the following criteria:

Identifiable associated condition

Acute onset

Pulmonary artery wedge pressure
Bilateral infiltrates on chest radiography

Acute lung injury (ALI) is present if Pao2/Fio2 ratio is
Acute respiratory distress syndrome is present if Pao2/Fio2 ratio
ARDS = acute respiratory distress syndrome; Pao2 = partial pressure of arterial oxygen; Fio2 = percentage of inspired oxygen.

Diagnostic Criteria for Adult Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS)

Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) is a syndrome of inflammation and increased permeability associated with a constellation of clinical, radiologic, and physiologic abnormalities unexplained by elevations in left atrial or pulmonary capillary pressure.

All definitions of this syndrome include patients who meet the following criteria:

Identifiable associated condition

Acute onset

Pulmonary artery wedge pressure
Bilateral infiltrates on chest radiography

Acute lung injury (ALI) is present if Pao2/Fio2 ratio is
Acute respiratory distress syndrome is present if Pao2/Fio2 ratio
ARDS = acute respiratory distress syndrome; Pao2 = partial pressure of arterial oxygen; Fio2 = percentage of inspired oxygen.

sry guys...it is missing the parameters...acute lung injury when PAo2/Fio2 is less than 300 and ARDS when less than 200
....initially you meant PaO2 not PO2....fine, fine, fine....
thanks..

hey i have posted a question for you... sports participation eval for a Down's syndrome pt..
if you have time please look into that.... Smile
apparently comes as CCS...