USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community

Full Version: Thank you - dr.natasha
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thank you guys for taking time and replying, I was not a passive reader, did all the kaplan question banks as well, intitally I oriented myself to the notes the after doing more questions I understood the exam pattern, but maybe I should have taken USMLE WORLD instead, cause I felt my questions were way too longer than the ones in Q bank, NBME. Whatever is the case I fail to understand what went wrong, I need to evaluate myself now and plan a new efficient way to study. I am thinkin of reading BRS for pathophysio,pharm, boichem, micro+immuno, neuroanat in Kaplan notes is good but other systems is not sufficient, so should i read high yield or BRS? Some of you suggected Goljan, should I do the tapes or read the book? Maybe I was not good in answering the questions, two out of all options seemed right, they confused me, for eg: nephrotic syndrome the two options were misty urine or cloudy urine with other Urine lab values ! It was a brain teaser ! I just want to do it right this time.
dear natasha,
what has happened has happend. no use crying over spilt milk. i think u shud take uworld asap and give the exam in 2-3 months time. dont be dejected and sit back, this is a big fight and u have no time to lose. also, do u have any classmates of urs studying for the same exam? maybe u shud pair up with them/find a study partner , also any friends who gave the exam and passed, get advice frm them. and do qtns and qtns. no use reading material. dont be worried that u r a fmg. there are many fmg s who do well. everybody has different styles of learning. make sure urs is the right style for mle.thats where u need good friends whi have passed who can support u. good luck with everything! next time u will ace the test!!
goljan-try listening to tapes. book is very extensive.and the buzz words like cloudy urine and so on shud be on the tip of ur fingers.
hi nataasha,
am not d right person to comment.
but came across this which m8 be useful for u.

For a recent string of emails, I conclude that the reason so many smart med students fail the Step 1 is because mainly their study "technique" is ineffective and wrong. Most students HAVE the right ingredients: Brains, Effort, Materials, etc. However, many are studying incorrectly. So many have, Dr. Goljan's Notes, Kaplan, First Aid, etc., but they are reading the material like a magazine or a mystery novel. NO! You must attack each concept. Many just report that they "memorize questions". That may have worked wonders in high school and college and even medical school since many teachers repeated questions almost word for word on tests. But the NBME is very powerful. They charge literally an arm and leg for the test so they have so much money to ask people (professors and doctors) to write an "ENDLESS STREAM" of questions so students do not have any "short cuts".

You cannot just read these High Yield Concepts like a newspaper like the New York Times. You must attack them and dissect themmake up flash cards, make certain guesses BEFORE looking at the answer, quiz friends with them, make up a œboard game with them, etc.

But that is why this message board is so key. We can ask each other for their exam experiences, and then make up legal questions/concepts to help others.

However, know that you need that key ingredient of time and money to give yourself adequate preparation. You need a solid window of studytime to pass.

If you do not have it, ask for it and beg your family and friends for it. Live with a friend/family in their basement to save money and buy time to study uninterrupted w/ total concentration.

If you cannot find time and money to study, it may be a waste of time and cost you your mental health. Please ask others to pray for you. However, know that you are not alone and many of the students I knew who finally reported passing did so even after more than ten attempts at the USMLE Step 1. Seriously, I called the NBME to verify it! OVER 10 ATTEMPTS! If they could have the dedication and finally passed, they achieved a dream even if they don't even go on to practice medicine! Abandon your dreams of doctoring only after all life support measures are taken.

I think of it if I am caring for an ICU baby. I won't give up my efforts at saving his or her life until there is no heartbeat for an hour or more!
courtesy;dave
also kindly see this

http://mihd.net/fyi0eg