USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community

Full Version: uw fresh question, hyper/hypo polarisation concept - john2007
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a uw question(new uw qbank ..i am currently using itI can recall I got something like it from the old 2006 version..i cant locate that one, appreciate ur input:
We are using a dug for a cancer patients to reduce the pain . This drug works on mu receptors. What is the effect on post synaptic neurons(the direct effect) :
Blocking voltage dependent na flow
Inc k efflux
In chl influx into the cell
Inc ca influx into the cell
Activation na/ca exchange

Plz give ur ans with explanation, the uw explanation doesn™t read with the q, I am confused here. thanks
inc k efflux which lead to membrane hyperpolarization = inhibition
thanks for the explanation

wiki says:
For the description of action potentials, "hyperpolarization" has taken on an informal, technically incorrect meaning. In this scientific vernacular, hyperpolarization is often used to describe a change in membrane potential that makes it more negative (less positive). However, during the falling phase of the action potential (approximately from 2 to 3 milliseconds in the figure) the membrane potential first becomes less positive after the peak of the action potential and approaches zero. Membrane potential changes from +40 to 0 are technically depolarization of the membrane, not hyperpolarization. Despite it being technically incorrect, text books[1] sometimes use "hyperpolarization" to describe membrane potential changes in the direction from positive to negative such as the entire falling phase of the action potential.