USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community

Full Version: two concept qs needs help... - juneflower
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
two concept qs in Pharmacology, pls.

1) In kaplan, in talking about Minoxidil, saying it is a potent renal vasodilator, and increase renin secretion. (p.99, 2004 version).......why renal vasodilation here increase renin?

2) in Kaplan, when talking about the -statin in inhibiting cholesterol synthesis, yes, it decrease liver cholesterol, and why this would lead to LDL receptor increase? what's the mechanism or rationale?

Thanks
minoxidil contain chemical structure of nitric oxide. it potent vasodialator and cause hypotension. due to hypotension renal perfusion decrease which stimulates reactive renin secretion.

this is how i think .
i dont know but i think when ever some thing decrease it receptor increase. for eg insulin receptor increas in starvation, iron binding protein level increase when iron is decreaased. etc
minoxidil contain chemical structure of nitric oxide. it potent vasodialator and cause hypotension. due to hypotension renal perfusion decrease which stimulates reactive renin secretion

and if BP drops, overall sympathetic stimulation also works which is one stimuli for renin secretion
is that correct
thank you buddies!!!!
Good explanation ananth, Can some1 tell me how Minoxidil acts to reverse effect of testosterone in patient with androgenic alopecia.

Good news for Bald people: MInoxidil side effect, hirsutism/hypertrichosis