USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community

Full Version: An 8-year-old boy is brought to the office - stefan78
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
An 8-year-old boy is brought to the office due to itchy rashes with blisters over his face, trunk and legs for the past 2 days. His vital signs are normal, except for a temperature of 37.1C (100F). On examination you notice macules, pustules, vesicles, and honey-colored crusts around his mouth, nose, legs, buttocks and trunk area. What is the most likely diagnosis?
A. Contact dermatitis
B. Impetigo
C. Herpes simplex infection
D. Erythema multiforme
E. Varicella zoster infection
F. Erysipelas
EE...but something tells me if it was that easy, you wouldn't have posted it stefan...Smile
bbbbbbbb
isn't impetigo mainly on the face?

i agree..it could be either or...but what in the question made you chose B over E.....??
Impetigo is a contagious disease caused by Staphylococcus aureus, Streptococcus, or both. It presents as an erythematous macule, which rapidly evolves into vesicles and pustules. The pustules later rupture and leave honey- colored, crusted exudates. There are 2 forms of impetigo: vesiculo-pustular and bullous types. Bullous type is caused by Staphylococcus

i am posting expl

for u serenity and team .....!!!

regards

stefan
bbbbbb
thanks stefan!

one question though....what would be different in the question to make it varicella?
Varicella zoster infection initially starts as a pruritic rash, then later develops into teardrop vesicles, which then ruptures to leave scabs. Usually, several stages of lesions (macules, papules, vesicles etc.) are present at the same time.
thanks stefan..Smile