USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community

Full Version: Don't know I can do it or not - shaon
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dear Friends
I have graduated on 1999. After that I went for a PhD and now I am working in an Academic Department of Basic Sciences as a Postdoc. I am in US for last two years.
I want to take the USMLE Exams. But some of my friends are saying it would be little bit difficult for me to get the match in Residency if I could complete the Steps within 3 years (Thats my least estimated time).
I have some advantages -
1. I have around 15 high impact publications.
2. I have no break of job or study.
The disadvantages are -
1. I have two kids.
2. My wife also work as me (Full Time).
3. My brain is really dull.

Can someone advice or suggest me whether it is true if I can finish the steps, it would be really tough to get the match in residency in any subject at this age???
I am tired of reserach and seeking money to the Government.
Please....
Dear Shaon,

Please try to take USMLE steps as soon as possible. With the eco going down i think its best to keep this research post as a standby.

We have an advnatage as we can show that as clinical/ research experience in many residency branch.

Regarding year of qualification, my firend from Iran, 1994 graduate got placement in Pathology. So it all depends upon how to try.....

Do lose without even trying.. this is what i would say!

- Shabree
hi shaon,

Shabree is very right,
I'm a 2001 grad and took nearly 10 months to prepare for step 1 and passed with good score in 90s, it takes time but once you are in pace your brain will be activated within no time. This forum is a very good resource read about others experiences and
make a schedule which suits you and stick to it.
Give your best shot and try to score high that will make your way to residency easier.
Good Luck!!
Dear
I am older than you
I have not so many publications
I have braks from study and work
I have 3 children
and my brain...........let me dust it....and I will tell you

But I am a warrior, and i am not going to die without trying what i dream for or fighting for what is right.

AGE IS JUST IMPORTANT IF YOU ARE A CHEESE OR A WINE Smile

Everyone
Thank you so much for your kind and inspirative suggestions. I will try with my best efforts in this war.
wow u are in great shape if u compare to me.i dont have any publication,huge gap from grad years,housewife etc.but i have only one positive thing that is i am super optimistic.