USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community

Full Version: nbme qq - mb260
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can anyone help me with these statistics questions? They are too long to post here and really confusing to me
Form 3 section 2 q16
Form 4 section 2 q17
Thanks
No one? somebody plse explain or give some formulae to solve these questions
Conditional Probability:....Freaking biostates

lets try this... If given that the pt survived say like 1 yr( or 2 yrs etc.) and asking for probability of surviving certain # of yrs (e.g 2 yrs or 3 yrs etc.).

and the data is given in one of these two ways:

.....STRAIGHT SURVIVAL.

0--1 yr = 80 %
0--2 yr = 60 %
0--3 yr = 40 %
0--4 yr = 20 %

say like if pt survived 1 yr what would be the probability--?(in this case u DIVIDE probabi)

(prob.of yr u want to know) DIVIDE by (prob.of # yr pt already survived e.g. 1 yr)

probability of surviving 2 yrs.......60/80 =75%
probability of surviving 3 yrs.......40/80 =50%
probability of surviving 4 yrs.......20/80 =25%

if the pt survived say like 2 yrs and probability of surviving 4 yrs?
20/60 =33 %

.......SURVIVING THIS INTERVALE.

0--1 yr = 80%
1--2 yr = 60%
2--3 yr = 40%
3--4 yr = 20%

say like if pt survived 1 yr ,what would be the probability? (in this case MULTIPLY probabil.)
Note: Multiply probabilities in between(SKIPPING the survived yr probability in this case 80%)

probability of surviving 3 yrs = 60 times 40
probability of surviving 4 yrs = 60 times 40 times 20

If asked probability of surviving straight say like 4 yrs(from the day one without condition of already survived certain # of yr) = multiply all probabilities 80 times 60 times 40 times 20

NOw in NBME 3 bloc 2, 16 answer is D
0.875 times 0.9 times 0.9

B- would have been the answer if asked straight 4 yr survival
C- is the probability of surviving 3 yrs once the pt already survived for 1 yr

IN NBME 4 bloc 2, 17 answer is C .Pt already survive 2 yrs so skip the 62 and 80 and now asking survival for AT LEAST 4 yrs(not the 5 yrs) so multiply the probabilities in between
0.84 times 0.85

D- straight survival for 4 yrs (without any condition of already survived # of yr)

mb260 i know u r one of the 99ers. wish u best of luck
Oh Sarim, u are wonderful! Suddenly, thanks to u, conditional probability is so easy now. I wish I could see ur face and shake ur hand for being so kind! (I hope I'm not splitting!!) God bless u.
Thanks a lot.
Thank you so much Sarim
This was soooo helpful