USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community

Full Version: nbme4 section2 pls explain........ - sharmilee
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
21 yrs old man develops wristdrop after sustaining a complete fracture of the upper arm associated with extensive tissue damage. The fracture was reduced successfully, and the ends of vessels and damaged nerves were apposed and surgically rejoined. Despite physical therapy, the extensor muscles have a decreased volume and can contract only weakly. Would healing and flexion are good. The most likely cause of this condition is abnormal function of which of the following?

A) Circulation
B) Glucose transporters
C) Lymphatic drainage
D) Neurotrophic input
E) Tendon stretch receptors

D. nerve regeneration take long time... usually nerve fiber grow 1 mm/day...
how do you rule out choice 'e', because i was confused on this one too. what would damage to tendon stretch receptors result in?
tendon stretch receptors are located more distally, in perepheri, inside of tendon...
here lesion is more proximal... question stem mention that lesioned nerve... anyway here afferent nerves are also lesioned... but efferent not afferent nerves carry neurotrophic input...
Thanx goforward got it.
U r welcome!
thanks for asking this question. i corrected this too now!
thanks goforward....as always Smile
iqbalian when r u plaaning to appear
please add me
anjaanirahi
@anjaanirahi - i hope to take exam in march sometime.
i'm not sure what you want me to add you to? you can always join the discussion Smile if that's what you are saying?

Pages: 1 2