USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community

Full Version: neuropathology q - jsmm
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
A 46-year-old man is found by his wife unresponsive on the floor. She immediately calls 911. An interview with the wife by Emergency Medical Services reveals that her husband has complained of a headache for several months now, and that she has noticed some changes in his memory. However, despite her requests, he refused to see a physician. Physical examination reveals left-sided pupillary dilation. Which of the following might a CT scan of the head reveal?

A. An infarct of the patient™s right cerebral hemisphere in the distribution of the right middle cerebral artery
B. An infarct of the patient™s left cerebral hemisphere in the distribution of the left anterior cerebral artery
C. An infarct of the patient™s left cerebral hemisphere in the distribution of the left posterior cerebral artery
D. An infarct of the left olivary nucleus in the medulla
aaaaaaaa
Headache for several months now... Is it DDDD?
jsmm can u please explain the answer....
drock, how is headache for several months making yoou choose D.
is pupillary dilation pointing to cn3 defect in medulla?
aaaaa
CCC.. h/o headache since several month may be due to raised intracranial pressure..

one of the complication of raised intracranial pressure is uncal herniation.. compression of 3rd cranial nerve result in dilation of pupils and other finding in uncal herniation is posterior cerebral artery haemorrhage..

i m just guessing like this.. correct me if i m wrong..
you get the idea but the answer is not correct
hi Yd iam sorry you are true
The patient has a rapidly growing, left-sided intracerebral
neoplasm, which has resulted in left uncal herniation.
Compression of the left oculomotor nerve, with subsequent
involvement of the parasympathetic nerve fibers caused the
pupillary dilation.

Uncal herniation compressing the posterior
cerebral artery.
Pages: 1 2