USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community

Full Version: nbme7 blk4 q24 - lady
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
a 19y/o student arrested by police because of writing literary phrases on walls of parking lot.his freinds describe him as a happy ,papullar,intelligent,fun loving student who avoid alcohol and drug. his roommate says that he recently had a burst of energy. he has been awake around the clock and wrighting furiosly at his desk and said 'he is onto something big with this novel' he has no history of psychiatry illness and no family history,lab exams are normal.what is the diagnosis?

a.adjustment disorder
b.bipolar
c.delirium
d.major depressive disorder
e.personality disorder,not other specifid
f.schizophrenia
i think bipolar disorder
bipolar?
f.schizophrenia
the offline answer is bipolar but there is no sign or symptom of depression !!!what about personality disorder??
I highly doubt bipolar.

It can't be adjustment, because the information does not indicate him confronting any different situation than he had before; bipolar would also involve phases of alternating depression- not indicated in the general description or account of the patient. Delirium would be more acute and related to an electrolyte imbalance. MDD is not related to his description; Schizophrenia requires a minimum of 6 months for diagnosis; it could be some sort of schiz but the situation seems more engrained in his personality; he might just be hitting a high in some type of personality disorder he has.

However thinking between E and F.

However, my instinct for this is leaning more towards Schizophrenia (F); perhaps previously undiagnosed.
i dont know why but for some reason...schizophrenia pts. are more into drugs and stuff like that...i might be wrong but i read it somewhere and the question states the pt. is not into anykind of ill. drugs or alchol abuse..so i choose bipolar..
bipolar...its the beginning so he has no history of depression..later he will be.
schizophrenia will be more of not taking care of themselves,hygeine etc..n many more symptms..which r not seen here.

personality disordes will be A,B ,C types...which need other scenarios...

hope tht helps.
you dont need the depressive signs to diagnose bipolar....the manic signs are sufficient...i think it is bipolar