USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community

Full Version: I passed Thank God - stap
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi everyone,

i got my result today and i passed. It was prayers from my family and friends that got me through this.

I was very worried when I left the philly center because i forgot to do some of the most important physical exam which was relevant to the case.
here are some things i was good at and bad at:

good:
-i was always professional with all my pts., i greeted them and asked them if they were comfortable.
-be sympathetic (after hearing the pts complaint i would say 'im sorry to hear that')
-i summarized (maybe more often than need be)
-i counseled the pts if they smoked right after learning they were heavy smokers and after asking about drinking if it was clear they were drinking alot i would counsel again.
i think couseling right after learning is very important in this way you dont forget!
-always did a proper closure, and at the end asked if they had any questions.

bad:
i scored the least in data gathering and the reason- i would take the history and do the exams in less than 15 mins (bewtween 8-12mins) and i would be done. i spent more time on the notes but even that i would finish before time. I would always be amongst the first to be out and that was way b4 the 15mins time we had.
I DONT KNOW IF THAT IS A BAD THING BUT I DO FEEL I COULD OF SPENT MORE TIME ON THE PHYSICAL EXAM

everyones experience is different and i was more focused on the being polite and getting the info than to make sure i asked the 50 questions i had on my mind.

the best thing to do is PRACTICE! i work full time and at the end of the day i would go over atleast 1 case (my study buddy and i would go through 12 cases at a time on the weekends) so do as much as u can but atleast 1 a day so you dont lose touch. i seriously studied for 3weeks from 10/24-11/12 for the exam and i passed. 1 month is enough to pass.

everyones different in their capacity to retain, some ppl are better n one thing than another.. the point is we all have flaws and no ones perfect (remember that) give it your best shot and just do it. i have gone through some very rocky roads academically but i passed and IA everyone else will too..
just on the side, be a good person cuz prayers have alot to do wth successWink
well done !