USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community

Full Version: what is the use of ecfmg certificate? -
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
sb

hi, friends,besides the need for entry into residency program,what is the use of ecfmg certificate(completed step1,2)?can I use it to get into post -doc in usa?
Emmy

ECFMG certificate is just to certify that your medical training met US std for admission into graduate medical education. So the use is mainly for obtaining residency position. You do not need ECFMG certificate to get into postdoctoral fellowship; in fact it may work against you as some principal investigators may view you as a transient fellow and thus unwilling to offer you a position. If you are interested in postdoctoral fellowship it is often better to remain silent regarding ECFMG certification.

A lot of IMGs think they can obtain employment in hospitals with ECFMG certificate but that is because they fail to realize that in US doctors cannot practice with first degrees or its equivalent unlike other countries that pattern their medical education after the British system. The basic difference is that the North American medical education prepares doctors for residency while the Bristish system prepares doctors to practice. So if you have ECFMG certificate make effort to get into residency training before it "expires".

However if you pass USMLE step III then theoritically you can work in VA hospitals, if you have the right visa. I say theotritically because even with step III the hospitals will still prefer someone who has some kind of USCE.
shah

Thanx for the info. I have already done my residency in Microbiology from Pakistan. so if I get my ECFMG certification and also pass my step 3 usmle, can I work diectly in some lab here?Is it easy to get such a job?
Emmy

If you mean that you did some postdoctoral research work in microbiology you may be able to get into postdoctoral fellowship in that area here in the US but you do not need ECFMG certification for that. Just apply to some research labs with your CV and they may take you. Note that you need work permit or green card to work in the US. Most universitry hospitals have open research positions posted on their web site.
sb

thanks for suggestion.