USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community

Full Version: nbme4--b1q-15 - opor
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
15. A previously healthy 6-month-old boy is brought to the physician because of a 12-hour history of vomiting and diarrhea. He vomits after all feedings, the vomitus does not contain blood or bile. His mother says that he has had fewer wet diapers than usual during this period. He appears dehydrated and is crying without tears. He is at the 50th percentile for length and 30th percentile for weight. He appears lethargic. His temperature is 38°C (100.4°F), pulse is 180/min, and blood pressure is 60/40 mm Hg. Examination shows sunken eyes, dry mucous membranes, and a sunken anterior fontanel. Arterial blood gas analysis on room air shows:
pH 7.2
PCO2 38 mm Hg
PO2 90 mm Hg

Which of the following is the most likely explanation for this patient's arterial blood gas findings?
O A) Excessive metabolic acid formation
O B) Impaired ventilation
O C) Increased chloride loss (Ã increase HCO3 which is not the case here)
O D) Increased CO2 concentration in the extracellular fluid
0 E) Increased metabolic acid produced by the gastrointestinal tract
the child has metabolic acidosis with respirator compensation B,C,D not the answers so maybe E
why isnt it C?? diahreah causes high chloride status n met acidosis
pls clarify
think about A?
usu. diarrhea caues non anion gap metabolic acidosis due to loss of HCO3...but here look like
metabolic acidosis due to hypoperfusion..bp 60/40(anaerobic metabolism with production of
extra fixed acid=lactic acid=ANION GAP METAB. ACIDOSIS)this is more with ........AA
*NOT.. C.. coz CL would inc. to componsate lost negative charge of lost HCO3
the answer to me is BBB
i c it like

diarrhea ---- > bp low and bicarb loss ---- > metabolic acidosis non anion gap ----- > so the ph is low ( 7.2 ) ------ > now this must lead to decrease in PCO2 but in this patient there is a problem to remove his CO2 bcoz of impaired ventilation so PCO2 still is 38 that must be around 27 but it is just normal (40)...
there is something wrong with this question ..... kindly recheck the question or proper refrance the the question becoz nbme 4 block 1 Q 15 is something else ......
k.. guys i can be wrong..but my explaination is.. kid is having excessive vomiting.. he is losing K with cl.. so he is retaining hco3 in blood.. in order to compensate... metabolic alkalosis.. the body is have respiratory acidosis.. like this case.. i think the ans is c..