USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community

Full Version: Advice needed - oldiebutgoldie
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am an old graduate from 2011 and on dependent visa now in US and I saw my cousin could not get residency even with good scores (230s in both steps). Being a below average student, i never tried after hearing about the competitiveness to succeed. I changed my mind and would like to give my best at step 1 and take it from there. If i get low score, it wouldnt harm since i am not in this field anymore anyway. I want to do something instead of sitting at home.

My question is, how much should i aim for to have a GREAT shot at residency in Internal Medicine? Is it 240+ or 250+ since my cousin didnt get with ~230? I have no other friends i can ask so if any one person gives his geniune inputs, it would be sweet of you.
Hi! It is not just the score but the whole package. Score are important, but so is clinical experience in the U.S, great letters of recommendations, work experience back home, solid personal statement, research experience, passing all the steps in first attempt, visa status.

I wish you all the best in your USMLE journey!
Good step scores are just as important as a great personal statement, LORs and research experience. Internal medicine is extremely competitive these days, you can try for family medicine, pediatrics and psychiatry.
thank you step1doctor and ramrez. i understand the whole package is important, but its step by step for me, starting with step 1 score. what would you say I should aim for to have a good shot? i ll worry about the rest of the resume after step 1
Aim for 250+
thank you acestep2. i was hoping someone would say 240, but i will target 250 now. i do realise how hard that is, as my cousin was a top student in medical school and she scored in 230s after 12 months preparation. good luck with match everyone.
This year's Step1 cutoff score seemed to be 230. So you should aim for at least 240.
@iluvmedicine whats cutoff for? IM or FM or both?
What do you mean by GREAT programs?

I think by good scores (double 250+) + good USCE + good US LoR, you may get into good programs like Cook County or Jacobi, which is almost the best for IMG with completely no connection (Although their name is not big, these programs are better than some 3rd or 4th titer university programs). But if you want to get into a program with a higher level, it is almost a matter of connections.
thank you mszzeta for lot of information. i didnt mean great programs, i meant to write "great chance" to get residency, at any program.
Pages: 1 2