USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
Family Medicine rej/invite 2016 - psycho14 - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Matching & Residency (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Family Medicine rej/invite 2016 - psycho14 (/showthread.php?tid=814564)

0 - ArchivalUser - 09-29-2015

Sorry to hear about everyone's rejections. Keep hope alive, it is very early in the game. For those of you who received rejections, did you use matcharesident? How i you research your programs?

I researched programs on my own, I know there are hundreds of FM programs and it took a while, but helped me narrow down programs according to my stats! There are programs with little things here and there with requirements that you may not match, outside of scores and YOG, etc., thats why I think it is better to look up programs on your own. Since this is my second match, I also weeded out programs from last match where I knew I didn't have a chance or got automatically rejected

@drsyedali. No I'm not us img. As a Canadian I'm also FMG non us IMG

@doctordontstop. No I don't trust matcharesident. I researched on program websites for the 170 I applied too. I used Freida a bit too

morning gents and ladies!

@doctordontstop, I used three filters to select programs. The first filter was matchAresident to narrow down the field. Then, I picked states I wouldn't mind working in, and choose the programs there. My last filter was the tedious one. I went through all the remaining programs looking at their requirements, eliminating the ones that did not fit or I just didn't like.

Gold standard Residency Web sites reading how to apply and looking at past residents
States requirements for license

If you're going to use matchAresident, make sure you actually read the program websites/Freida/call the program coordinator to verify the information - with regards to score cutoff, year of grad, visa , etc.

@clueymd: thats great. did you graduate from a canadian medical school? where did you do the clinical rotations?

@drsyed. Smile no I graduated from a cArribean school. My home is Canada. I did my clinical rotations in the US, 72 weeks. Plus 5 months of externships also in Us

Don't Canadians who went to Canadian Medical schools match like AMGs in US?

For a lack of better term, thats what i meant when i said US-IMG, implying IMGs who complete rotations in the US.i know its not the correct term and maybe there should be a better term indeed to create distinction.
Anyway i think most if not all who got interviews did the 2 year rotations in the US.