USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
What is the role of STEP 3 in match process? - ampicillin - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Step 3 (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: What is the role of STEP 3 in match process? - ampicillin (/showthread.php?tid=300321)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

0 - ArchivalUser - 10-23-2015

satirolx,

Everyone's frustrated.

One of the greatest ironies is AMGs blame us for malignant programs. They feel programs would treat them better if thousands of people weren't willing to take their jobs. AMGs are also applying to more programs because everyone is paranoid (and rightfully so) about the combined match.

We have to be realistic and understand that the system is weighted against us. Step 3 can't work miracles but will help some applicants.

We also have to understand that the face of medicine is being intentionally changed. Once there are more AMG/DO applicants than positions, those applicants will be forced to apply to inner-city residency programs. That's the goal, period.

The top offshore applicants will still be okay. "Okay" means fighting each other tooth and nail for spots that still accept IMG/FMG applicants. Doors will be closing for anyone with red marks, old YOG, or extended breaks. Between then and now, people should do whatever will help their chances.

Agree again. But the IMG has something very bad against them. They have a Huge Loan to Pay. Honestly is not worthy. Now they still resistant to consider that. But the health care system does not have the money to pay doctors like before. There is a big opportunities with less effort for PI and RNNP in the field, covering for a lot of patient. Why hire 2 or 3 expensive MD from Harvard if I can get several PI or NPs instead. This is like a real state why should I continuous paying for an apartment 200000 dollars if right now only worth 80 000. And it is getting worst!! Unfortunately sooner or later the heath care systems in America will be socialized, TO many people doing nothing and depending from the State. There is no money to keep paying what they pay for health care of millions of people with high quality care. So it will be the time and situation that a graduated will have a loan of half of million dollars and his salary will be top 150 or 200 thousand a year. What are they going to do? I don’t see an AMG (mostly of them) driving an using car and living in a 3 room house, no f.. way… but they will fixed. The same people causing this disaster will fix it. Even I feel sorry for the ones will suffer the middle period.

^ First of all: One of the reasons for the combined match and increasing US MD/DO schools is preparation for socialized medicine. You would be 1,000,000% against socialized medicine with a full understanding of what it would mean to FMGs.

I'm going to make it very simple. Anyone can look this up and verify it what I'm about to type:

The ACA has a provision buried in it that allows for declaration of a health care emergency. This means doctors can't turn away patients based upon patient load, slow payment, or having fulfilled contractual obligations with Medicare.

IMG/FMG doctors (on the other hand) attended schools accredited under the WHO. In order for countries to get a medical school, they have to guarantee licensure for people who have graduated residency programs in good standing.

Following me? This means doctors with off-shore degrees could leave the US after residency if they don't like the ACA.

A DO degree isn't accepted in all countries, they wouldn't be able to leave easily.

None of this is by accident, is my point. They're preparing for the worst possible outcome and crating a captive work force. Socializing medicine will require student loan forgiveness on an immense scale. They want to do damage control so people feel it's only going to certain people. Smile

In terms of Canada? There'll be so many US students in a few years that Canada will have to address their own training issue.

hello aybab again

hey for the sake of the privilege of treating patients, USMLEs willl issue USMLE STEP 4 AND COMING UP USMLE STEP 5 to guarantee the "quality of privilege MDs"! so good news for you! and also prepare to hire pppppppprrrrrrriiiiiiiivvvvvvvvvviiiiiiiiiilllllleeeeeeeeeeggggggggeeeee attorneys to defend your malpractice lawsuits !

Licensing is all about jumping loops and hoops like obedient stupid "dogs" !

hello, physician assistants and nurse practitioners are laughing at MDs killing each other out there ! have a look!

you may want just SHUT YOUR MOUTH, because the more you speak, the more it exposes you are the prototype of MDs who are greedy, self-serving, UNJUST, morally corrupted !

hello aybab again

hey for the sake of the privilege of treating patients, USMLEs willl issue USMLE STEP 4 AND COMING UP USMLE STEP 5 to guarantee the "quality of privilege MDs"!

USMLE step 1 USMLE step 2 CK USMLE step 2 CS and 6-year carving the images of your buttocks on medical schools with over 200K student loans DO NOT PROVE YOUR ARE GOOD ENOUGH TO TREAT PATIENTS.......... so good news for you!

and also prepare to hire pppppppprrrrrrriiiiiiiivvvvvvvvvviiiiiiiiiilllllleeeeeeeeeeggggggggeeeee attorneys to defend your malpractice lawsuits !

Licensing is all about jumping loops and hoops like obedient stupid "dogs" !

hello, physician assistants and nurse practitioners are laughing at MDs killing each other out there ! have a look!

you may want just SHUT YOUR MOUTH, because the more you speak, the more it exposes you are the prototype of MDs who are greedy, self-serving, UNJUST, morally corrupted !

Step 3 will be useless once all of us offshore applicants are out of the equation.

@aybab

using a licensing examination (USMLE step 3) to solve the problem that has nothing to do with the examination (illegal immigration masked with visiting visas for residency) is the MOST STUPID SOLUTION that US medical licensing has been ever doing for so long !

this is like putting the egg ahead of the chicken saying the egg comes before the chickens; another one say, nope chickens come before eggs!

that is how the more testings the more stupid we have become!

You don't get it.

The problem for them, is us. They don't want IMG/FMG people to get residency training in the US.

It's simple. One of the few ways people can increase their chances, before it's too late, is step 3. Ignore my opinion if you like but program directors (who take IMGs) worry about Step 3 failures affecting residency roles. I've even spoken with someone who will take me this cycle with step 3. I didn't match last year and the only way he'd consider me was with step 3. I studied my butt off for a while and went to a program for the final touches.

I know of at least one resident who was fired from a FP program last year for failing step 3 on a second attempt. Another friend is trying to retake the exam again and on a leave of absence with his career on the line. Do you really think those program directors won't want people who have already passed step 3?

I also know someone that only was able to complete PGY2 but having step 3 meant being able to get a license and work.

Another hoop to jump through? Yes.

Fair? A little. Disadvantaged applicants can still be proactive and increase their chances. In time: Only people with high scores will have a shot. And nothing will help those with attempts, below average scores, old graduate, etc...

I'm not stupid. I realize A little fair is still mostly unfair. That's what we signed up for. Every person here has read a sob story about graduates failing to match, being buried in debt, bombing a test because their program sucked, getting divorced, disowned, committing suicide, marrying for a greencard, taking bad jobs, going to nursing school, trying to get into PA school, and every worst case scenario imaginable but we all jumped in with both feet and refused to believe it could happen to us. No one was even willing to believe where things were going when the "All-in" policy was instituted.

We have to keep pushing. The only thing worse than jumping through hoops... is having nothing to jump through. For now, at least, the opportunity is still there.

I'm also not stupid enough to believe these posts will change your opinion. They are so someone who is tired, upset, and feeling sorry for themselves won't buy into your nonsense and fail to take one more step that could change their lives.

YOu are the one who NEVER GET !

the more you agree to jump, the more hoops for you!

I guess you have a gene of slavery!

so i stop talking with you!

these are more than enough of my arguments to elucidate the issue!

Licesing is about AMERICAN PUBLIC ! it is NOT AND NEVER ABOUT LICENSING !

0 - ArchivalUser - 10-24-2015

@skt,

Take this in the intended spirit of helpfulness:

You have a severe American English comprehension deficit. You're arguing with a person who has passed the exam, spoken with program directors, and not understanding some basic points. Take some time away from studying medicine and dedicate yourself to improving English comprehension and grammar. The exams are in English and you are probably missing points do to misunderstanding the questions.

Any advice is worth what you're paid for it: My advice isn't free because you've already paid for it in blood, sweat, tears, and time.

This isn't about intelligence or your habit of going ballistic on anyone who disagrees. Your spelling, grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure are difficult to follow. Strunk and White's "Elements of Style" (for example) helped improve my writing a great deal in undergrad.

A ton of time on comprehension wasn't necessary due to English being my first language. I wouldn't know a good source.

Another thing that helps people is short story reading. There are many classic American short stories that can help people with reading practice. I've used this method for steps 1 and 3. Day 1 of step 3 has very long vignettes and you'll make wrong choices if there's a reading error.

You could have been humble and asked people who have passed the exam for help instead of hurling insults.