USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
I did not match, please advise. - iceman100 - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Matching & Residency (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: I did not match, please advise. - iceman100 (/showthread.php?tid=772053)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

0 - ArchivalUser - 05-19-2016

Best of the best…Residency Application Advice

This helped me…my contact with an IMG IM PGY-V fellow…Greatest IMG residency advisor around (and also got me through the USMLES…despite several prior fails…)!email me (“ Best of the Best Residency Advisor Needed…” in subject header) at . GL!

Dr Shiela

0 - ArchivalUser - 05-20-2016

I've read through many of the recommendations and I thought I might give my two cents. I am a PC, so while I haven't personally applied in the Match, I know what my PD looks for, as well as what some of the other PDs in my university look for. There are two things you really can't help and that's needing a visa and your yog. There are SOOOO many GREAT applicants out there that most programs are going to go with a "sure thing." This means that most programs aren't going to want to deal with the visa process and I'm not sure when the last time you worked clinically, but that is also a potential downfall.

Applying on Sept 23, as opposed to Sept 15 did NOT hurt your application. Many programs don't even start sifting through the hundreds of applications that come in until after the first week. If you are a good enough applicant, more than likely, you will get one of the first round of interviews regardless of applying 9/15 or 9/23.

Finally, I haven't seen what your main field of choice is, but research doesn't do a whole lot for family medicine when you could be working clinically somewhere. A previous poster shared that they did an observership at a couple of residency programs. This is GREAT advice. For one, if you are great, someone will write you an excellent letter. Faculty in residency programs know what they are looking for in letters for other people, so they tend to fill in that same information when they are writing letters. Second, it gives you exposure to some "contacts." Even if that program can't take you, someone may know someone that can help you get an interview somewhere else. Finally, it gives you the clinical experience that many programs are looking for in old grads.

0 - ArchivalUser - 05-24-2016

thx as well!

0 - ArchivalUser - 06-01-2016

txa

0 - ArchivalUser - 06-01-2016

THX

0 - ArchivalUser - 06-16-2016

thx

0 - ArchivalUser - 06-18-2016

Hi guys,

Need some help. What are img friendly programs for surgery? does any one have recent list?

I will appreciate the help.

1 - ArchivalUser - 06-20-2016

2.Recently
3.Used a PGY-V IMG IM Resident to help me in all steps and ERAS Application
4.Gmail contact is enycity
5.Put into the subject header “Matched-FINALLY-TIPS”

0 - ArchivalUser - 06-20-2016

i highly recommend using collegescribe . com for help with personal statements and letters of recommendation. they wrote a lot of the material for me, and despite low scores i was able to match in NYC. they are great, and their advice regarding the essays is excellent.

0 - ArchivalUser - 07-12-2016

thx