USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
Official 2016 Psychiatry Invite/Rejection Thread - diverticulosis - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Matching & Residency (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Official 2016 Psychiatry Invite/Rejection Thread - diverticulosis (/showthread.php?tid=814331)

0 - ArchivalUser - 11-04-2015

dead silence today. need to stop checking email every 5 minutes.....

tomorrow is a new day! hopefully a less silent one

I hope so too tcgu

0 - ArchivalUser - 11-05-2015

I think my credentials are not listed..so I will repost again.
220/249/cs second attempt. 2 years psych usce

I have one question, that could be naive question.

How many interview do you think is on safer side to match in one single specialty? Let's say someone has 10 interviews and she got ranked from all the programs, but not in the top 10, could she still be match?

Can anyone please put any idea in this. I would appreciate that.

Sorry, I was not in this forum for long time.

My Score is 212/218/CS passed/205; YOG 2003 + MPH + 9 Publications and currently in research in a University Program.

I got invite from the following programs.

Emroy (my current workplace)
University of Utah
University of Colorado
University of Tennessee
Medical College of Wisconsin
University at Buffalo
Washington University/B-JH/SLCH
University of Chicago
UAB (research)
University of Louisville

^ Mean number of contiguous ranks for people who matched in 2014 is 5 . so anything above 5 you are in good shape.

for more info, look at page 170 in NRMP-ECFMG-Charting-Outcomes-in-the-Match-International-Medical-Graduates-2014.pdf document

Hi usav, thank you very much.

The data giving me a kind of relief as well some panic attack too. Even with 16 or more interviews, there were four people who did not match!
I am worried, cause the places where I am getting interviews are mostly AMG friendly and during my IVs (three so far) I have not seen any foreign graduates. So, I am not sure how well they will rank me!

A lot of other programs, where I see people get the rejections, I am not getting one from there. Not sure, I should call them or what. Anyway, lets wait for a week and then I might call them!

glad that you looked at the data. just to let you know that it is not number of interviews but the number of contiguous rank by an applicant towards the specialty

if I were you, i would not really worry about the '16 or more' section. the reason being the slope of distribution for matched and unmatched has a pattern until 15 interviews but the last section with 16 or more, it doesn't follow the slope anymore (may be the data is skewed some how).

this is also the case with distribution in IM i observed

Also remember that the nrmp data in that document does not talk about CS attempts. I believe those applicants with 16 or more contiguous ranks and did not match might have had an attempt on CS.

for example from pg 180, i can infer that there were more than 110 psych applicants who took more than 1 attempt to pass the CS. now if you kind of extrapolate the score distribution of Step 1 and Step 2 over this 110 applicants, you can find at least 10 folks who might have had scores of 240 in both steps but had an attempt on CS. good scores can give you interviews, but still interpersonal skill can play a major role in the rank list of the programs.

This is just my theory to explain those outliers. Anyone reading this has a better idea or explanation, please share.

^
" Let's say someone has 10 interviews and she got ranked from all the programs, but not in the top 10, could she still be match? "

Dint see this earlier.

At-least in the case of IM, programs will rank any where between 5 to 15 candidates/position.
The most sought after university programs will rank 5/position and the least sought after programs will rank close to 15/position.