USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community
ecfmg NEWS at its latest regarding USMLE SCORES!! - queenidine - Printable Version

+- USMLE Forum - Largest USMLE Community (https://www.usmleforum.com)
+-- Forum: USMLE Forum (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Step 2 CK (https://www.usmleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: ecfmg NEWS at its latest regarding USMLE SCORES!! - queenidine (/showthread.php?tid=586671)

Pages: 1 2 3

ecfmg NEWS at its latest regarding USMLE SCORES!! - queenidine - ArchivalUser - 05-18-2011

hi everyone...i just came across the announcement that . from july on .ERAS is going to do the reporting of USMLE scores in only 3 digits..i'm done with step1 the score of which i got reported in double digits. and 3 digits too ..CK in august...does anyone know..if my double digit step1 score will still be sent to the colleges that i'll be applying later on or not.. anyone having the slightest idea..PLEASE ENLIGHTEN...thanks

0 - ArchivalUser - 05-18-2011

Nope, they will not send your 2 digit scores to your residency programs. That's essentially what the announcement says. This is because 3 digit scores stay the same over years (a 250 in 1999 is the same as a 250 in 2011) but the 2 digit scores are changing (some years back you needed up to 235 to get 99 but now 227 is 99). So to encourage the residency programs to maintain standards and to reduce confusion, only 3 digit scores will be sent to residency programs. When we get our score reports by email we'll still see both scores. State medical boards will receive the 2 digit scores (it was designed for them in the first place) for licensing procedures. Hope this clarifies it.

@kdox, sorry to correct u, the residency program have always considered the applicants 3 digit score. thats the way it has always been so things won't change at all. the only difference is that people won't be boasting about a 99% to their fellow doctors.

@kdox..thanks a lot ..that clarifies things a bit..but what i dont understand is...how can colleges sort out among those who get really tough set of questions and score a 99 with only average looking 3 digit score from those who get relatively easy one and score 99 with soaring 3 digit number...i always thought double digit number was MORE important than 3 digits....the latest announcement was only an eye opener for me...that came with a lil disappointment..my 3 dig score is not really impressive........

@grad1980: No probs. However, if you check several residency program websites for IMG requirements, they give a 2 digit score cut off point. Also, the announcement seemed to imply that giving the programs 2 digit scores along with the 3 digit scores was causing confusion. And what's wrong with a little boasting?! Smile

@queenidine: Honestly, I don't know how they'll distinguish them. But who really understands the scoring system? Maybe there's some additional info in our transcripts that will help with that (remember the transcript sent to residency programs is far more detailed than the simple score report emailed to us). This might help with 3 digit score outcomes: it's a link to the 2010 Match 3 digit score results released by NRMP by specialty. They're just averages so don't interpret it too strictly: http://www.nrmp.org/data/programresultsbyspecialty2010v3.pdf

wow...thanks@kdox..for some odd reason i feel a lot better now...!!

@queenidine: you're welcome!

hey kdox, listen, if there r two students and one of them scores a 229/99 while the other scores 236/97, whom do u think is better? of course 236. and don't worry about ur 3 digit score, luck plays an equally important role in getting residency as does ur 3 digit. so pray a lot to God, He will help u always.

@grad1980: You're right and I think the example you just gave is the main reason why they've discontinued the transmission of 2 digit scores to residency programs. Also, apart from luck, there are multiple factors that determine interviews. If you look at the link I posted earlier you'll see all the factors program directors use to grant interviews. Like you said, do your best and leave the rest but stay informed!

@grad1980...i want to defer...how can a person with 236/97 be better than 229/99? well i thought double digits too had a significant meaning behind them and are not just tagged along the 3 digits like dummies to show off...i believe..the person with 229/99 must ve got really tough set of questions than the one who got 236/97....and his ability to pull a 99 with a lower score is still better than getting a 97...............to make it even more easier...in my step1 ...i got almost 50% of questions regarding wierd AND LET ME REPEAT .....wierd!!! genetic laboratory trials....and the genetic notes from kaplan and uworld were NOT JUST ENOUGH ...while my freind on the other hand got relatively easier set with conventional questions most of which was pathology..she scored a perfect 99/252 while i scored 99/236...we preped equally well..now how would somebody explain that....i guess i need some more help here.............