Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
test ur brain-nbme -3 - dr_julia1980
A 47yo female comes to the ER because of severe abdominal pain for 3 hours. The pain began after a 2-week drinking binge. She has a 15-year history of alcoholism. She has no history of jaundice or hepatitis. Current medications include multivitamins and iron. Her temperature is 38�C (100.4�F), blood pressure is 110/80 mm Hg, and pulse is 110/min. Examination shows mild jaundice and diffuse spider angiomata over the trunk and abdomen. The liver is tender to palpation. A complete blood count shows mild anemia with normal red cell indices. Ultrasonography of the abdomen shows normal-sized hepatic ducts. Which of the following is the most likely set of laboratory findings?

Total Indirect Alkaline Alanine

Bilirubin Bilirubin Phosphatase Aminotransferase Reticulocyte

(mg/dL) (mg/dL) (U/L) (ALT, GPT) (U/L) Count (%)

A)2 0.9 80 30 1.2

B)3 2.8 70 30 1.0

C)3 2.8 80 20 3.0

D)4 2.0 800 200 1.5
E)4 1.0 150 400 1.0
b?
THIS LOOKS LIKE A PANCREATIC PATHOLOGY VS GALL STONE.. I DON'T THINK OF D AND E...
BRRR... THE LIVER IS TENDER ....
my choice is E.
I agree w/ E -- She has alcoholic Hepatitis, so u know tha LFT will be high, w/ Mild elevation of Alkine Phosphatase,Incr Total Bilriubin, Normal Red Blood Cell Indices, Mild Anemia
The only lab values I see w/ elevated LFT is D & E, but D has High Alkine Phophatase -- there is no Pathology of Hepatic Duct so r/o on that ground

E
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »