Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
which nuerotransmiter? - parkinson
plz, can someone explain the nuerotransmiter[s] that causes depression. is it sertonin or norepinephrine or both of them together. I asked this questin in regards to zhadkems question on neurotransmiters.
my guess serontonin
I think serotonin plays a major role in mood balance. When it becomes low in the organism, the patient has a tendency to depression. One of the treatement available to treat depression is to high its concentration in synapse by inhibiting its reuptake: Prozac acts in that way.
th serotonin 5HT 1a-h is exittory while 5HT 2a-c is inhibitory, and yes the serotonin is he major exitatory nuerotransmiter. in the deppresion the TCAs are the DOC for thy inhibit the 5HT reuptake.
yes, SSRI class of drugs--> serotonin reuptake inhibitor reduces uptake and increases the amount available
Both NE and Serotonin are involved in depression. depletion of both lead to depression and excess of both lead to mania.
if that is the case which is what i use to know, why will a question put both of them together and which will one choose?
Seconly, what is the mech of action of SSRI?
well, this is already said by step1geek, SSRIs are selective seritonin reuptake inhibitors and the mechanis is that they inhibit reuptake, thus inhence it's level at the nerve terminal, and since the serotonin is the major stimuatory nuerotransmiter, 5HT sould be the answer
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »