Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
medical school transcript -
docfriend

Hi can anybody tell is it ok if you don't have a medical school transcript to apply for residency?. I have a letter from the dean of the college and inspite of many requests they are not sending me my transcript. But I have my mark sheets.
medlaw06

legally, they HAVE to send your transacript. They may have certain requirements (paying $, etc.), but they can't stop from sending transcripts!!

i would look into this!
docfriend

thanks for your prompt reply. I am from India and graduated in 1993. The cirtificate they sent me was the clinical clerkship and hours there was no mention of grades in it. Is this OK.
medlaw06

friend...the infor you are giving me is vague...

1) who is "they?"

2) where are "they" located? (i.e. country)

3) where is your medical school?

you don't have to answer #3 (privacy) but the reason why I asked that is because the medical school has to give out a transcript. The clerkship may not necessarily have to give you a grade

For example, if a person does a clerkship/rotation at another place, the other place MAY OR MAY NOT give out a grade. HOWEVER, when you are applying for residency, the institutions/ERAS/etc. will ask you for your grades. When they are asking you for your grades, it is from the MEDICAL SCHOOL that you graduated from that they are PRIMARILY concerned with.

You may provide additional grades that you may have received at clerkships/observerships/rotations/etc., but you HAVE to provide grades from your "degree granting institution."

The clerkship may or may not give out grades; they may simply write a letter stating that person X has satisfactorily completed his/her clerkship at institution Y.

HOWEVER...THERE HAS TO BE SOME RECORD OF YOUR GRADES FROM MEDICAL SCHOOL!!! ...and this place HAS to send out your transacript with grades....the clerkships may or may not give out the grades.
vk

doc friend:

you said you have your mark sheets. If you are from India, the mark sheets themselves qualify as transcripts. Call ECFMG cand find out . They told me that I could just send in a copy of all my marksheets, labbeled with my ECFMG identification number and in the correct order. That should be enough. You don't have to have an "official" transcript.

Good luck!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »