Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IV fluids...what fluid? - kickout
Hi, a lot of supportive methods say: IV fluid in the text book, in stpe3 CCS, can we just type IV fluid or we have to say the name of the fluid? if so, what kind of fluid generally used in clinic for just hydration? normal saline? I have no clinical experience, this is why I am asking.

thanx a lot!
By default I will put Normal saline 0.9 in all.
In unconscious ED patient, D5 along with thiamina, naloxone.
in peds ringer lactate.

I am also nonclinical guy. But thats general issues i learned from books.
any other input is appreciated.
you have to name the fluid you are going to give in Step 3 CCS.
the concept mentioned by zippy will work for the cases.

otherwise: for maintenance fluid you can use NSS (0.9%), for fluid resuscitation where larger amounts are needed you have to be careful, since NSS is kind of 'unphysiologic' fluid leading to hyperchloremic metabolic acidosis. Ringer's lactate (RL) would be more adequate (Ringer's acetate is not availabe in the US, otherwise I would use that). Exception: as RL is slightly hypotonic (273mOsm/L), it should no be used in pts w/ traumatic brain injury.
D5 is not used for fluid resuscitation, since it is basically 'free water' (the dextrose is metabolized by the body under the influence of insulin).
in the early days, for ped D5 1/2saline was used. This fluid is initially hyperosmolar (406mOsm/L), but again: dextrose is metabolized, so you are basically infusion a hypotonic solution. For intraoperative maintenance some anesthesiologists use D1% in RL, but I don't think that data on this is published yet.
thank you for your input
Thanx for the input, friends. Farnsworth, where is Zippy's concept about fluid you mentioned? Thanks again
I just saw it, thanx for your input, Zippy and Farnsworth
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »