Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Applied to 30 programs only 1 reply -
Leesha - losipchuk

I'm a FMG, worked as a neurologist for 15 years in my home country, passed Step 1 & 2ck first time, and just took 2CS last week. ECFMG has certified my transcripts and diploma. I am a permanent resident. I also am a PhD. I'm applying to psychiatric programs all over the country. I have only 1 reply, a NO to interview... I'm a little frazzled... with all that is going on with 2CS results and no clinical US experience I'm wondering if I will get any inteviews... Please give me your thoughts... Should I apply to more programs???
Ag

I think that sometimes programs get a little nervous around applicants that are -too- qualified. What I mean is that most programs like interns who are fresh out of medical school or don't have years and years of experience. The perception (true or not) is that older grads with years of experience in their home country will come with too much baggage and experience and be unwilling to learn or unwilling to be at the "bottom of the totem pole".
If you've applied to 30 so far and you really want to match, I'd apply to another 30 programs, looking specifically for programs that have taken older FMGs (look at their pictures if there's a webpage). And you might want to rethink your personal statement and address the issue of being an older grad head on.
Leesha - losipchuk

Thank you!!!
dd

I am not sure that the problem is the expereince. I also am a PhD, "fresh" graduate from 2003, 14 publications, 99/99 in the USMLEs and only one onterview (out of 11 applied). It's just being a IMG, without the USCE that makes the difference to my opinion.
Shrink

I can not help you with your problem other than advising you both to apply for more programs ASAP.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »