Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attending IVs...Which Port of Entry? - doc_harry18
My first visit in the U.S. was January 23, 2008. I was given 6 months at Honolulu Port of Entry. During my stay, I took step 2cs and step3 which I passed. I came back to my home country last July. Now, I intend to come back in the US to attend interviews and plan to get my ticket in mid-October. Here are my questions:

1. Since my purpose of coming to the US is to attend IVs, should i wait for the programs to send me an email invite for an interview before planning my trip back to the US?

2. Do I need to show proof to the immigration officer at the POE like letter from the hospitals that I am really invited for an interview? What other documents should I bring with me?

3. Can I plan my trip even without any email invites yet and just wait for IVs while I am in the US? Will the officers grant me 6 mos if I say I plan to stay until the match which is in 2rd wk ofmarch? or IS it too early for me to return?

4. Which Port of Entry is not strict to IMGs coming to the US for IVs?

5. Anyone in the same situation? I know some who will go to US to take step 3 which I think is a valid reason since they can show exam permit. How about those who already finished all the steps and just waiting for the IVs?

Any advice will be appreciated. God bless to all those who will join the match.

I think you already have a 6-month stay in the US for 2008.
As far as I know, on a B1/B2 visa you can enter multiple times in a year but cannot stay for more than 6 months in the US, or within a single year, stay more in the US than outside the country.
I might be wrong though.
I guess any port of entry is okay. The officers at any port of entry know about the usmle and the interview season and such. Customs procedures are the same everywhere.
Good luck for the 2009 match.
If i were you, you should stay first in your country and wait for the invitations. Programs usually interview AMG first and IMG after, but i am not saying that they dont interview IMG at that time. by oct to march is another 6 months. Staying for 2 consecutive 6 months would put you in a higher risk of suspicion by the immigration that you are planning to work, although everything you do is legal, immigration doesnt want that. I think saying that you will stay here long is not good. My first visit was purely pleasure 4 weeks, then came back around 5 months after and we were questioned already by the immigration. but we didnt encounter any problems, they just ask a lot of questions. Then when my wife went to get his visa at our home embassy, the consul question her why she stayed there for 6months. but again, everything is done legally so we have no problems. Just lot of questions. So if you are gonna wait here for interviews, just stay first in ur country and wait for the formal invitation before you go here since your done with eveything.
Thanks herz and spacedoc. Good luck for the match.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »